LaTeX questions from satchi really new-user

S

hi! Is anyone using online templates?
I downloaded one for my thesis and have put in the text part,
but now how do I make a table, is there a template for this as well, and how do I put abbreviations? I just want to make a list of abbreviations:

BC = before Christ
ASAP = as soon as possible

but with proper spacing.

thanks a lot
love satchi

A

Hello

I am not sure if this is of help, but the wikibook for latex is always a lot of help, and i generally manage to use it successfully.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Tables

Please find the link from this wikibook regarding tables. Tables are not so easy to include. Sometimes what I do is that I convert the tables to images (preparing them in word or powerpoint, the using corel draw to convert to .eps) and insert them as images.
Hope this is of help

S

hi ailicec
thanks for your post
Im going to put the abbreviation page now; I think just add command to thesis.tex and make another .tex document, something like that.

*trying now
love satchi

A

Hello

If you just need to insert the document, just do new document e.g. abbrev.tex...and wherever you want to put it in do /input{abbrev.tex} or something similar, depending on the saved location within the folder of the latex project...remember to save the abbrev.tex to the relevant project you are working on

S

hi again I put it in the prelude.tex
but also in thesis.tex but nothing happened!

what am I missing

love satchi

M

Hi Satchi, to insert a simple table into your text you could use the example below, this will produce a two column table with a single column to start with for a title

\begin{table}[h]
\begin{tabular}{||p{5cm}||p{5cm}||}
\hline
\multicolumn{2}{|c|}{TITLE} \\hline
First Column Heading & Second Column Heading \\hline
Ist Column Data #1 & Second Column #1 \\hline
Ist Column Data #2 & Second Column #2 \\hline
\end{tabular}
\caption{Title for Under table}
\label{tab:Name to be able to reference table further on in text}
\end{table}

Hope this helps fro adding a simple table, if you need more info give a shout back and I will try and help, I think this is the sort of thing you were looking at.
Max

S

Hi Maxipat
thanks a lot
I managed to get my abbreviation; but I have put it under Appendix because thesis.tex couldn't generate the Abbreviations page (!) I dont know what else I did wrong; I did make a separate Abbreviations.tex and also put under \include...

thanks so much for the table syntax
Im still fiddling with the abbreviation, i am using the glossaries package from nicola talbot's link; I put that in the first appendix page

will let you know how it goes
thanks
love satchi

A

Is it giving any errors when you compile it?

S

hi! Ok got it done, its because I forgot to add it into the .sty file.
Now after typesetting thesis.tex it is showing up :-)
I'm still learning how latex works
thank you
love satchi