Law PhDs--who is doing one?

O

Are we allowed to ask on here ( and if not, please pardon the question)? But how many people are doing law PhDs??? Seems like a few? What is the general area of law you are covering in the PhD research?

R

I get the impression that there aren't that many around these parts.

I'm assuming that there will always be proportionately more science-related PhDers out there due to the nature of scientific career progression where the top jobs only go to those with PhDs. Not necessarily so, for law grads.

F

I am doing a Law Phd on Contempt of Court, covering areas of domestic Scots law, UK statutory law, EU Law, and sociological research into courtroom environment and related effects to various different segments of society including ethnic minority groups, socially disadvantaged groups etc. Really enjoy it at times, really hate it at others! All part of the experience I suppose!

O

That sounds like an interesting area, actually, FatBob. I would imagine its very diverse as to who and how people are held in contempt of court. Do you ever take part in any of the socio-legal conferences held by various groups in the UK ( SLSA or SLS, etc)?

R

fatbob how far are you into your PhD and what was the path that led you to focus on contempt of court?

H

I have plenty of contempt for courts...can I do a PhD in that?

R

Well it depends on whether you can articulate that into 100,000 words of IRAC, discuss both sides of the argument, then reach your contemptuous conclusion.

R

And then don't forget to make 3 copies and bind them.

H

Can I charge for that?

M

I Have just started a Construction Law PhD. Just getting to grips with it and so far really enjoying it

J

am also doing a law phd. currently writing up. anyone else writing up?

J

which are the respected journals in law? by respected i mean peer reviewed - in criminal and business law areas or general legal theory.