Lecturership without Post-Doc?

O

I always read Post Doc. Is it possible to become a lecturer without these intermediate step or is this rather uncommon. Does it happen at all and if yes, is it subject to a long publication list?

Anybody knows anybody who did this or who knows the usual procedure?

J

its not uncommon in certain fields. engineers and management lecturers who have worked for many years in industry and move into academia dont start at the bottom.

A

Lectureships are not easy to get. Generally, a university will want evidence of your ability to produce research output (publications and grants) and evidence of teaching proficiency (teaching experience, teaching qualifications).

O

Thanks for the replies. Not planning to become a lecturer, just interested. I know some post docs but interestingly enough they don't want to stay in academia.

V

becoming a Lecture in the top unversities without postdoc is mission impossible. But in some 'teaching-orientated', less research active universities is more than possible. I know one who is still doing a PhD and already working as a seniour lecturer.

O

The funny and at the same time bizarre thing is, the teaching-orientated universities pay the same salary like Oxford etc.

So theoretically someone could be a senior lecturer in one of those universities with a publication record of ZERO and maybe not even a PhD.

At the same time, his colleague is a lecturer at Oxford, earns much less, has 20 high quality publications.

Stupid system isn't it.

O

The only explanation is that those academics who work in high-profile institutions value this little fact more than a higher pay.

Which ones again shows that in academia, title and respect from peers is more important than a healthy salary.

the more I think about it the more I feel sorry for those poor academics who work for 10 years to become a senior lecturer at a first-class university.

V

well, I heard that some people who have been Professors in teaching universities have accepted positions of Lectures and Seniour Lecturers in Oxbridge(with a salary of Lecturer, of course)just to be there. So, it supports your hypothesis. And it means, as an academic you have to choose between fame and money:)

O

Forgive my ignorance but what is a teaching university? Don't they all teach?

P

orian, in a "teaching university" the academic staff do very little research, and spend most of their time lecturing.

O

Thanks Phil. Would these sorts of institutions be university colleges and the former polytechnics?