Lecturing as a student - when did you start?

B

Hi, out of interest, how many of you lecture on undergraduate courses? At what stage in your studies (i.e. 1st/2nd/3rd yr PhD) did you start? Did you begin with 1st year courses? Tutorial/lab support? Or were you given sole responsibility for final year courses straight away?

W

Hi Blueberry,I started lecturing in my third year, to undergraduates and masters students. I was petrified, stressed a lot and spent far too much time preparing as I was teaching subjects I didn't know much about. Then a lecturer left and I applied and got the job! I am now a f/t lecturer and finishing my phd whenever I can find time. I know it depends on the subject but I find that taking an interactive approach to lectures (ie getting the students to contribute) works best and takes the pressure off you.

J

hey blueberry. i started in my first year. first semester i took first year seminars and now am taking third year seminars. No doubt the last term was quite scary and stressful coz i had to learn a lot of stuff i had to teach when i never studied it before..but you know what? I got thro :). am kinda apprehensive about this semester, but i will get thro. when you get paid, you realise it was worth all the stress :). what exactly do you wanna know blueberry?

J

*wants a job* :(

J

Asked but can't seem to find anything :(

J

keep making sure staff knows that you are interested in teaching. that's how i got mine. don give up.

J

yer. i'll look into it more next year. i think "seniority" counts in that staff tend to look to those more advanced in the phdness.

F

Got thrown in at the deep end in my first year due to a sudden staff shortage - sole responsibility for a third year module (including setting the end of semster exam - argh!). It was utterly terrifying but eventually good fun, and people actual passed the module, so I must have done something right. Now I am a glorified classroom assistant on a first year research methods class (basically I get to do most of the marking - hoorah) and also about to start as a Open University tutor, which I can thoroughly recommend. Hours fit perfectly with study, the students all actually want to be there and the training and support is great.