Letters of recommendation

R

I'm applying to universities in the US and in the UK to start a PhD. (Sheesh its a ball ache applying in the US).
One of the universities i'm applying to in the UK is the same uni that i completed a Masters at.
The problem is that the US unis require letters of recommendation, which in my case will come from the same people I am applying to in the UK to supervise me. My thinking is that they might be a bit annoyed if i am asking them for help and supervision for a PhD with them, but also asking them to write letters of recommendation for other universities in the US.
Anyone have any thoughts or experience of this?
thanks

C

I don't have experience of PG studies in the Us, but I guess that there must be differences in terms of duration/requirements/training/ etc. So the main point here is to understand what you really expect to gain from a PhD in the UK or in the US. In the event of being accepted by both Universities, which one would you choose and why? And also, if you are accepted in the US, would you be prepared to move with a short notice? I don't think it's matter of annoying the people who should write you the letter of recommendation, it's part of their job, but of making sure that whatever direction you take is the right one for you and your future career.

R

hi Corinne
thanks for your reply.
Yes i would be happy to relocate at short notice. I haven't had a permanent address for some time, so moving to states would not be a problem. I am well used to packing.
If given the option, i would chose the states over the UK. My reasons for wanting to study there are that the area of research i am interested in (ecological engineering, sustainable farming/pest management in the tropics) is a more widely researched topic in the US than the UK or the rest of Europe. The US university i'm applying to has good links with south and central america where i would like to work. I think I would have better job prospects in the US than the UK after completing a PhD in my subject, so feel I might as well try to get into the US now rather than later.

I

There is absolutely no problem with asking them to write letters of recommendation, and applying for a PhD with them at the same time. I'm sure they'd even recommend it.
If you're serious about doing a PhD, then it's advised to apply for many of them. Applying for several can only help - not only will you stand more of a chance, but your supervisors will know you are serious about it and it will give a bit more emphasis to your application with them.
Also, if they're writing refs at the same time as considering your application, at least you know you'll be at the forefront of their minds ;)
In short, applying for many PhDs is only a positive thing. Your supervisors will understand this, and will not in the least bit mind that you're applying to them as well.