Library Fines

S

I currently have library fines on my account through no fault of my own (I was seriously ill so couldn't return the books) amounting to several hundred pounds.
My university are refusing to remove them from my account, and won't pay my studentship (which comes from an external funding body and amounts to c.4k) until I've paid them.
The thing is, I have no means of paying them (even if I wanted to) until they give me my studentship. So I really don't know what to do, I have rent and bills to pay and they'd seemingly prefer me to drop out than assist with this situation.
Any advice?

S

This is really unusual; a similar thing happened to a friend of mine and when she explained the situation, they relented and although she paid something it was a nominal charge. Do you have any evidence (doctor's note) that you were unwell? If not, does a member of staff know that you were ill, and could they intervene on your behalf - you should have a personal tutor or member of staff responsible for PGs.

S

The disabilities office has a thoroughly documented account of the issues; I got them involved a couple of days ago, although I haven't heard anything yet and I'm told that any cheque for my studentship will take five working days (at least) to issue and then it has to clear and it's nearing the easter close-down....
I guess it's just immensely frustrating (and I'm going to start getting bank charges accruing for being overdrawn).

Hi Scarlett, how shocking!!! and awful for you. The times I've been ill and not been able to make it to the library, a doctor's note sufficed to cancel the charges. Surely they will accept this for you. As other posters have said, there should be some support at the Uni for you - students' union, personal tutor/postgraduate tutor? I'd gather all the support I could and try and get the fines cancelled. Good luck, I wish I could offer more support.

S

Phew!
Managed to speak to very helpful disabilities coordinator in the library who has removed most of the fines from my account. Apparently they're going to charge me a nominal amount for not dealing with it sooner (which I can't be bothered arguing against) but first of all they'll take that off my account temporarily so I can get my grant cheque.
Thank goodness!

D

Hi Scarlett, your uni will also have an emergency fund for the likes of this situation. If you go to your student support office they may be able to give you or lend you the money. Hope you have it sorted already though!

Take care x