Literature Review for first year

F

Hi, its been a while since I logged in but am now here to stay :-) I am trying to do a literature search in my field and come up with a 10 page review. I have never written anything since my undergrad disertation several years ago. Please someone advise me on how to go about it, I have done my literature search, laid down the outline and sub topics but I still feel I am missing something. Does anyone have a book or author that I should read before I start writing. I will appreciate any advice and ideas that come my way. (up)

H

Identify the seminal works in the area; read those first. Then read the references they cite. Then check their references. Keep to the facts and don't waffle on; go to original papers and don't rely on cited works as proof of an original concept until you have read the original. Read around the subject, don't just restrict yourself to your single identified aim. Learn to use Pubmed, Web of Knowledge and Google Scholar properly and look to write about 30-40 pages for a decent lit review.
That should do it. Have fun ;-)