Liverpool anyone??

F

I have been invited for a Phd studentship in Liverpool. I have never been there. Does anyone have a idea how it is like studying in Liverpool. I am 30 and have not been in college since 2004. I feel a bit old. I hope I don't sound naive but is it going to be easy making friends in Liverpool at this age? Any interview tips will also be welcome as will any information on Liverpool. I am a big football fan, by the way.

S

Hey, is it Liverpool Uni (not John Moores or Hope)? If so, you should know that they are considering some major restructuring at the moment and are planning to close down a number of departments... what subject will you be in?

B

I'm grew up Liverpool so I should declare my bias from the outset!

Although I haven't studied at the university, loads of my friends have been there (as PhDs and undergrads) and it seems good. From my perspective, the fact that it's a big university is an advantage for making friends - I'm doing my research at a small college so the gene pool of other postgrads who share my interests (or that I like!) is quite small. I've used the libraries which are excellent (I wish I had access to the range of electronic journals they offer for remote access) and the campus is centred on a pretty Georgian square a short walk from the city centre where the students all hang out on sunny days. Some of the city centre areas where students tend to live are slightly dodgy I would say, but probably no worse than elsewhere.

As for the city, you will benefit from the Cultural Revolution of 2008 and a whole load of recent redevelopments. There's a decent shopping area, a new museum opening soon at the docks (which already has a museum, the Tate Liverpool, and bars / restaurants). There are three theatres, the Philharmonic concert hall near the university, another area with more traditional museums and galleries, a rotating sculpture (?) by Richard Wilson (see below), the superlambanana (see below), the two football teams (can't say I've visited goodison Park, mind), two impressive cathedrals at opposite ends of the street adjacent to the uni, a busy night time scene with lots of local bands and hundreds of bars and pubs in the centre and a good train service running out to the suburbs so that you can visit the beaches and seaside towns 15 minutes or so North. Actually, it doesn't sound all that different to loads of other cities (except for the rotating thingy and the lambanana) but I hope it helps you decide...

Rotating artwork:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnOFjxdvaY

Superlambanana:

http://www.superlambbanana.com/home.php?/home

F

Thanks much for your comments. The cultural side of it sounds really interesting and promising. Can't wait. By the way, it is indeed University of Liverpool (school of politics and communication studies). I hope they won't close it before I join. Ooops!!! The department sounds really great and would certainly be a dream to study there. I have a friend from Liverpool. Gary is a great guy and tells me Liverpool is the place to be.

M

I'm pretty sure politics and communication is up for the chop! I'm up in the NW of England at the moment, and the newspapers have been heavily covering the issue of Liverpool shutting down its poor performing depts.

Liverpool is becoming very commercial like many other leading uni's e.g. expanding to China, international branding, focusing on the lucrative postgrad market, and anything underperforming is under threat.

Liverpool is a very political city and known for its politicians - it would be a travesty if they lost a politics dept.

S

Hey!

The Head of Politics and Communications (Jon Tonge) is a mate of mine. Absolutely fantastic guy, love him to bits. But, Missspacey is right, Politics and Communications is one of the prime candidates for the chop, and Jon has already got options lined up so i get the impression he thinks it'll definitely happen. You might start a PhD there and then lose your dept..!

B

Gary... now there's a proper Liverpudlian name!

B

======= Date Modified 20 Apr 2009 11:31:16 =======
Duplicate

F

Thanks again for the heads-up. I have done some reading after your alerts and it appears a decision is to be made in June and indeed, it looks likely the politics dpt is a potential candidate for elimination. What a pity!! I will still go to the interview and do my thing. Obviously, it's not nice to hear about the situation but a decision has yet to be made. And I am sure those who are invited students for interviews must surely know what they are doing. I certainly would hate to apply to another university again. The process is laborious, getting transcripts, reference letters etc. Will see. Even if I don't end up in Liverpool, I still has a lot of love for the city and its people.

S

Hello again

To be honest it depends exactly what you are looking for. As far as I can tell (from friends) the University plans to simply move many of the staff to other departments in the Uni. Of course, this does not prevent those staff from looking for other jobs elsewhere, but that's the case with any supervisor! Can I ask what you are planning to do your research on, more precisely?

Hi Farmershoe,

I'm a scouser who moved back, after living in a few different places, about five years ago - at age 35. Liverpool is quite an open place - we really are a friendly lot. However, just like any other city, it does take a while to make genuine friends. There are opportunities for social branching  - such as late at the Tate -which happens once a month and is great. There are also various writers', philosophy and cultural groups you can get involved with. I find the city is big enough to be interesting, but small enough to feel I belong (but I have a head start on that anyway!). The architecture and art galleries are world class - The Walker Art gallery is about the best I've ever been to, including the Louvre and National Gallery (too big in comparison) and the Uffizzi (I much prefer the Walker's original 19th century decor and layout - it has something in common with the Pitt Rivers museum on that score). Also, the Gormleys, or 'Another Place' at Crosby beach is at the same time stunning, mesmerizing, and as comforting as a trusted old friend.

Having also been a PhD student at Liverpool Uni, I have to say, I found the social side of things there almost none existent. I was at the doomed School of Politics and Communications very recently so if you want to PM me about that, then please do so.