Liverpool?

F

I had an PHD studentship interview at the University of Liverpool a few weeks ago. I am dying to know if I made it or not. I obviously don't want to bother them by calling and I simply won't. I was just wondering did anyone get the outcome of their interviews yet? It was my first time in Liverpool and I really liked the city: perhaps the most friendly I have visited in the UK.

C

What's the worst that can happen if you send them a brief email to ask when you are likely to hear the outcome?

F

Cheers commonsense. Good idea. The things is I realised they could still be conducting interviews. I will give it another week. You never know with this guys!! They don't normally want to be bothered. I just don't want to do anything that could jeopardise it because I felt the interview went quite well but we will of course cross the bridge when we get there. Will keep you posted. Are you a prospective or you are already enrolled?

P

Generally you'd expect to have heard by now if you'd been successful.
But as the OP stated you could call. I very much doubt it will jeopardise your chances; admin staff generally deal with enquiries, not academics!

P

Hi, I am post grad PhD student at the university, what department are you applying to?

R

you could always say you have some other offers on the table from other universities and you need to get an answer asap to make a decision. as has a already been said the worst that can happen is that they tell you to wait for the official response. But i think most supervisors are reasonable in this respect and if you send them a polite email to that effect they will probably give you the verdict if they have already made their decision. it might not be finalized with the university but university admissions department will 99% of the time accept a student on the recommendation of the supervisor you have applied to, should they want to take you on.

hope it works out for you

rjb

F

Thanks all. They informed me that they had offered me the AHRC grant last week. I am exited but it's the so-called fees-only grant so I will need to see how to pay my rent etc. Will see how it goes