Long feedback times

Z

Hi

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. This site has been a blessed source of information for me in the past and I really need to ask for some advice.
I have seen similar threads but I do feel I need some specific advice on my situation.

I have begun my second year of my PhD and I had a busy first year and have done a great deal of writing. At the start of my PhD my sup was fast to respond to queries and I was having monthly meetings. Feedback used to be reasonable; I submitted some writing at the start of the year and received feedback one month later with very detailed comments- the feedback I received was detailed and helpful. The next time I submitted some writing which was for my upgrade report and exam to be taken within the first 12 months, it took months and a lot of chasing up to get any feedback. I was advised to make amendments then re send. I turned this around quickly and sent this. 2 months later, I have not had this back despite me sending reminder emails and asking them face to face. The upgrade exam has not been arranged and I am 2 weeks away of being 12 months into my course. The sup always tells me how busy they are and has multiple roles. I have always been understanding, but after submitting more writing , they gave me a deadline for feedback to be provided which was weeks ago, and I am losing faith very fast about being able to complete on time as I feel as though I am being held back.

My sup is very knowledgable and when I do receive feedback it is very good and we get along well, but I am not sure how to approach them in asking them if they can be faster with feedback; I know I will get told about how busy they are. I don't want to put in a complaint as this causes more trouble in academia.

Zutterfly x

Z

Anyone? Feeling quite demotivated by all of this, any advice would be appreciated!

T

I am not sure what area you researching, but to be honest I think it is unacceptable. As a supervisor I always agree a feedback date with my students and as I expect them to stick to agreed deadlines I also stick to feedback dates. For me, depending on the size of the draft it varies between two and four weeks and I always diary a follow up meeting to discuss feedback. Moreover universities are now prescribing feedback turnaround times for academics of between two and three weeks. The other thing to remember is that despite of your supervisors 'various roles' they will have been given time to supervise you and to provide feedback.

Moving forwards, I agreed complaints are never pleasant and can be damaging to the relationship you have with your supervisor but sometimes you have little choice. It is clear you have tried talking to your supervisor with little effect, have you approached your second supervisor? Alternatively I would have a chat with your students union to see what they advise.

Z

Thank you so much for your advice Tester. Unfortunately I do not have a second supervisor, many students in my department do not, but some do. I am in the social sciences.

My first ever piece of writing was turned around in 1 month early this year which I was happy with, but it was after this things started slipping. Due to a 3 month delay with feedback on my upgrade report, I am stil waiting 5 months after sending this for my exam which has still not been arranged. I know it isnt right but im scared to raise it with another member of staff.

I plan to speak to my supervisor face to face next week. I have attempted email but I got quite a frustrating response, which said they were going to enforce a 'one draft policy' to which I agreed with, but pointed out that I have not even had one draft of some things that I submitted some time ago. I stick to deadlines, work very hard to meet them and then do not get feedback. It is so disheartening and I cannot see it improving.

M

During your PhD journey, you should not always expect the supervisor to provide excellent feedback.
Your supervisor may not be familiar or knowledgeable in this new area of research.

Eventually, we should be the expert.
It can be quite a lonely journey. You should have some friends in similar research area.
Perhaps you can look for a more specific forum...

Z

MeaninginLife, I understand your point, and I also recognise that the PhD journey is largely an independent one and I do work very independently, but I do believe some feedback is required to understand if one is on the correct track from time to time.

In addition, I was most let down by having my progress upgrade delayed an unreasonable amount of time through no fault of my own. I had the report prepared months ago, and it is the supervisors job to arrange the exam theirselves which has not been done; if I could arrange it myself I would have done months ago.