Looking for a master with third degree

S

I only get a third degree. Might anybody give me some advices which universities could consider my application? Thanks a lot!!!!

G

In what area...mind-reading?

S

Sorry. My degrees are Finance and HRM. And I am interesting in Management courses.

G

You're talking MBA's? I would say none of the Management schools that are worth getting in to would have you. Probably the ones that would aren't worth getting into. Sorry if that sounds cold comfort.

R

Lol golfpro!
Ignore him Steven, it's just his sense of humour.
Is it MBA or masters courses you are interested in?
If it's an MBA then you're degree doesn't matter but you need to get several years of relevant business experience. There are people on MBA's who don't even have a degree (and at places like Durham!).Most MBA's won't consider applicants if they don't have any work experience though a few now do. Maybe (if you haven't already) you should consider looking into grants to set up your own business?
If you want masters courses which are not MBA's but for finance or management etc. Then you need to do some research into which courses you would like to do (and would be most helpful to your career).Then you need to start contacting admissions for the courses making sure to point out any work experience, skills or extenuating circumstances which affected your degree. Admissions are used to these questions.

R

Another trick is if you find a masters course you really like which is a taught one and the uni won't budge on the 2.1/2.2 entry criteria. Ask if they do a PGcert (which is usually the first few modules of the masters) and if your work is of high enough standard they'll let you transfer into the PG Diploma then if your work is good they'll let you transfer onto the masters. All it means is you will still do the same course and it still only takes one year but unlike the other masters students on the course you will be initially registered as a PGcert student and then later in the year a diploma student and finally a masters student.But no-one else on the course will know.
Not all universities have this policy though so again it's just a matter of research and asking questions and not giving up.
Good Luck!

G

No matter how you spin it the outcome will be the same. No meant to be rude or funny [not my style]. but this gent will do exceedingly well to get onto any decent MBA [or suchlike] with a 3rd straight from Uni [unless its Oxford or suchlike].

R

You're right about the MBA golfpro but only because most MBA's won't take people straight from uni
Taught masters courses are a different kettle of fish.At the end of the day it's up to the prospective student to sell themselves to the course admissions tutor. You have to remember the market is saturated with masters courses right now and the postgrad applicant numbers at many institutes are not rising in proportion (even the top ten uni's are taking massive hits on some courses though they don't freely admit to it outside their own walls). At the same time top graduates are now aiming for graduate schemes rather than further study. Plus as you've often commented at some institutes money talks as a university can either not run a course or let one student on who might not have the right standard of degree but means the course can run.

R

This may be not right but I have seen students when given this chance graduate with a distinction. Again it depends on the student and it comes across at interview if the third class degree was deserved or if the student is capable of better.
The easy part is getting the place and sadly most people worry about getting the place when they should first decide if they're ready and up for working at the level required.

G

'...sadly most people worry about getting the place when they should first decide if they're ready and up for working at the level required'.

Didn't like to say that bit at all. Glad you did. My first thought re this whole thread.