Looking for a PHD Topic

L

Hello everyone,
In fact i am considering doing my PHD in Marketing, and have been really confused and unfocused regarding the
choice of my Thesis Topic! I know it sounds stupid, but i am just not able to figure it out! I don't know how to proceed,
nor which direction to take, and don't want to lose this urge just because of such a small dilemma, which i find unsolvable.

From your own experiences, can anyone tell what to do?
1-Is it possible to contact a professional person in the field to help me out? If yes , pls explain to me.
2-Can we usually contact university staff to decide together on the Topic, before proceeding on filling in the PHD application? Will they be ready to help me?
3-Is there any Online Thesis Topic Services that can guide me to decide on narrowing down my Marketing topic?

I really appreciate your input since anything might help me.

N

Most books about how to write a PhD/conduct PhD research will have a section about how to define and refine your topic. If you do an Amazon search you'll find several (e.g. by Dunleavy or Murray). You can also look at existing theses and what topics they've investigated on the British Library thesis service - just google it; it's free to use.

It would be good to have an idea of the topic before you contact a potential supervisor in the university. Obviously they need to see that you can demonstrate some nascent research skills before they agree to supervise you, so it's a good idea to have read around, but of course you don't have to stick with the initial idea once you've contacted the supervisor and discussed together what the best topic for you might be. The potential supervisor will often be able to give you some assistance in completing the academic part of the PhD application if they agree that they are potentially interested to supervise you.

Quote From Linda124:

Hello everyone,
In fact i am considering doing my PHD in Marketing, and have been really confused and unfocused regarding the
choice of my Thesis Topic! I know it sounds stupid, but i am just not able to figure it out! I don't know how to proceed,
nor which direction to take, and don't want to lose this urge just because of such a small dilemma, which i find unsolvable.

From your own experiences, can anyone tell what to do?
1-Is it possible to contact a professional person in the field to help me out? If yes , pls explain to me.
2-Can we usually contact university staff to decide together on the Topic, before proceeding on filling in the PHD application? Will they be ready to help me?
3-Is there any Online Thesis Topic Services that can guide me to decide on narrowing down my Marketing topic?

I really appreciate your input since anything might help me.

Why don't you use:

http://www.findaphd.com/

in the UK and see if there's anything that takes your fancy? Check also to see if funding is available.

As regards books on PhDs and how to approach them, try "The Ph.D. Pack Version 3" (probably even version 4 or 5 now :-) ), consisting of "How to Get a PhD", "How to Write a Thesis" and "How to Survive Your Viva".

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

======= Date Modified 27 Jun 2012 11:56:14 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Removed by PostGrad Forum team

N

======= Date Modified 04 Jul 2012 09:03:10 =======
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - spam*

N

======= Date Modified 04 Jul 2012 09:03:00 =======