looking for a second masters at LSE

V

Hey, I have an UG degree in Biotechnology from the Indian Institute of Technology (GPA : 3.47/4.00) and working on a masters in Biomedical Engineering at Boston University (current GPA: 3.33/4/00)

In my masters, Ive been working on a lot of stochastic models and have done a lot of advanced math courses. I want to work as an analyst now in some consulting/analytical firm in my industry.

I was wondering how competitive my application would be for a MSc in Operations at LSE.

I have mostly As (some Bs) in the advanced math courses, and my GPA has been driven down by a couple of core Biology courses I had to do. (In one of them I have a C+)

Please give me some advice. I want to apply next year (fall 2008). By then I wouldve done more advanced modeling course (with all As ofcourse!!)

J

ask LSE.

V

They have a central procedure for inquiries, which I used, but they are not replying.

H

As an overseas student, you will find it very competitive for this particular course and you need to make sure your grades are as high as possible. However do you really think it is worth doing another masters that will cost £13,000 fees which is 11 lakhs (Rupees) plus another £8,000 to live in London.

S

hm, in my experience LSE's central inquiries place is lousy, either they reply late, give wrong information or don't reply at all.

so, although they tell you explicitly to send all inquiries to that address, if you aren't getting any answers, i'd try elsewhere. perhaps e-mail the department you're interested in, or call them.
alternatively, you could just go ahead and apply (it's all online). it will cost you something but not the world, and then you will get definite answers

as businesses like LSE graduates, it is certainly not the most foolish move, career wise. but you could also, at the same time, try applying for those jobs you are interested in immediately. if you get your dream job without the LSE masters, it would save you a year and lots of money!

V

@H, I dont understand what you mean by competitive.. will it be competitive to get in or competitive in the course? As far as I can see from the course contents, mathematically Im well prepared for it.

I know a colleague of mine from UG electrical engineering joined that course last year (i lost his contact sadly..) and he had worse grades while applying, and he got a scholarship!

H

I meant competitive but if you are planning on paying the fees yourself then probably easier. If you already knew that your friend got into the course with lower grades and a scholarship, why do you bother to ask us?

You should find out how much the scholarship is first.

V

Well I just want an admit. my current masters is a full ride so I can face the financial consequences for one year.. but Ill try for the scholarship anyhow.

I wish I could just transfer now.

C

as a current LSE postgrad, if ur grades and degrees are what u say they are, I wouldnt worry about getting in too much.

cheers.