Looking to do PhD part time, Currently working

Z

Hi,

I have done a masters in computer sciences and now I'm working as a sofware engineer here in UK. I am currently on a work visa so that makes me eligible to take any part time course in university. I am looking to start a PhD but I can't afford to pay the tution fees.

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me. What's the way to go from here. Can I get enrolled for a funded part time PhD project or do I have to enroll in a full time PhD to get funds? Does anyone know of any university which has got places for someone like me :(?

Thanks

Zeeshan

N

I think that most research councils (for example AHRC for the arts and humanities andso on) offers scholarships for part-time studies, however in this case the scholarship covers your tuition fees only (as opposed to FT scholarships where you get tuition fees + living costs).

I currently have a scholarship from my Uni to pay my tuition fees which can be held either in a FT or a PT basis. I suppose most University scholarships arealso flexible.

S

There are PT funding opportunities through the research councils - don't know about your area though sorry

Z

cool

I have been in the uk for more then 4 years now so I guess i'd be eligibale for it.

did you propose your own research topic or did you enroll in an research project funded by the university?

cheers!

Z

Hi SixKitten, Do you know where can I find information regarding these fundings?

G

My area [Computing]. It doesn't help that you're not a UK national. Notwithstanding that you're very unlikely to get funding as a part-time student in CS in my experience [period].

U

very helpful comment as usual, Golfpro...

Z

hey golfpro, thanks for your earlier post. what do you think the best way to go is then? Should I just apply in any uni with my own research topic (which i will have to figure out later)

G

Yes, in the cold light of day it was very 'matter of fact' and somewhat blunt.

You could do that [re topic] BUT the bottom line as regards money is that is very little around [Christ Church - Kent was all I came across last year] for P/T CS PhD's. In my expereince [as regards CS] there is a definite preference for F/T reseach as regards funding possibilities.

S

Find out which research council covers your area and look on their website

I'm PT and I work as well, although I just changed jobs because my four day a week job was too much with the PhD as well (now half time)

Z

thank you guys. you lot are extremely helpful. I will have a dig over this weekend and come back with the results next week.

cheers!