lost..depression...need a help!

L

I'm currently in my 15months,I used to work really hard for it, since the New year, I began to slow down in my progress and been held back since my software that I'm using for my work is running out of licence since then till now. To my surprise,nobody else in my department that used to work with the same software seem to be affected by it.

The other PhD students in my department who are more the less started at the same time as me, seem to be coping well and already having their experiment to work, and I'm still doing my simulation and still so far to go before i can start my experimental. I'm so worried about this cause I'm under scholarship and have to finish within 3 years but looking at my condition now I don't think I will be able to make in 3 years. I'm running out of time but I still can't get my head to think or work.

Now found other alternative(different software) to move on with my work. But ever since,I began to lose myself, I easily lost my focus, determination and sometimes I can't even get myself to work or think about my project. I do have a clear objectives what to achieve but I'm losing my drive in PhD now. I'm feeling so lost. I just had my first year viva, still waiting for the result to come out.

At the same, seeing my other undergraduate friends having fun with their working life and enjoying their marriage life make me more down. How can I be someone who works day and night without being overwhelm with emotions, I really want to finish my PhD so badly but I'm still doubting myself whether I still can do it especially I'm so far behind my schedule now.
Any supportive comments are welcome.

Hi LittleMas,

As you can see from a post near yours on the forum, I'm feeling very similar to how you are. Experiments not working, feeling like I'm not going to make it, comparing myself to peers both within and outside PhDs.

I suppose the first thing is to ask whether you've spoken to your supervisor about this. Do you know how they feel about your work? Perhaps you're further along than you realise. And do you know how the other PhD students feel about their own work? Is it that they really are further along than you, or is it that you think they are from what you see, but in reality they're not?

I think there are lots of questions here which I'll leave you to answer before saying any more. Good luck!

Hi LittleMas,

As you can see from a post near yours on the forum, I'm feeling very similar to how you are. Experiments not working, feeling like I'm not going to make it, comparing myself to peers both within and outside PhDs.

I suppose the first thing is to ask whether you've spoken to your supervisor about this. Do you know how they feel about your work? Perhaps you're further along than you realise. And do you know how the other PhD students feel about their own work? Is it that they really are further along than you, or is it that you think they are from what you see, but in reality they're not?

I think there are lots of questions here which I'll leave you to answer before saying any more. Good luck!