MA/PhD in International Relations

G

Hi,
I am interested to do my MA/PhD in International Relations and Conflict Management. But the problem is my bachelors is in Computer Science(B.Sc-3yrs + various certifications).

But I have good part-time experience(4-5yrs) in various NGOs.

Will universities consider my qualification ? If yes, can you suggest me one. And what are the chances of getting funding?

regards
Ganesh Kumar
[ps:I have my GRE and TOEFL scores ready]

G

Are you a UK [or failing that an EU] citizen? This will have a big impact on the possibility of you getting funding?

H

Well why don't you find all universities that do a course or have a research group in your area. Pick the best ones and contact the departments with regards to you being accepted and potential funding.

G

No, I dont hold a UK or EU citizenship. I am from India. But does this make any difference ?

I thought only federal aid and stuff like that have reservations.

I, infact mailed a lot of departments, but they dont give a proper reply.

Btw, does (PhD in) Computer Science, get full aid ? I am single and may get married soon.

regards
Ganesh Kumar

G

A chance of getting a funding for a PhD study depends on several things including your background in the area, your motivation and enthusiasism, the availability of funding for Non-EU students. There is also a big competition for a funding. Prepare a CV and a statement, which covers what you have done, what you can do, what you want to do, references. Once you have all stuffs ready, try your chance to get a funding for your PhD study. It might be great to applly for several places for a PhD study at the same time, but it might be good to change your statement. It will increase your chance of getting a funding for a PhD study.

Good luck with your applications

N

I'm afraid it makes a big difference. For example you are excluded of the Research Councils' scholarships (the ESRC for International Relations I guess). Tuition fees for non-EU citizens tend to be substantially higher. A masters it's about 3,000 £ - 4,000 £ for UK/EU students but for international ones it can be the double of that or more.

G

Fine, in that case, I can add more references from my NGO and make it more attractive. But the admission is granted on a case to case basis ?

Anybody doing PhD in humanities and social sciences get a grant for the FULL 5 yr term? I heard they also bear the travel expense for a field trip. Any idea? My friend on a Chevening told me this.

G

'..federal aid'.

Are you talking about the USA here? This is mostly a UK biased forum.

S

To study IR you will have to get an MA/MSc first - you can't go straight to PhD.

G

SixKitten, You mean MA in IR ? So, B.Sc in C.S wont be of any help ?

Golfpro, I have got brochures from various places (include UK,Amsterdam) etc. The European system(15yrs) suits me.

Could somebody tell me, if aid is available for full 5 yrs upon admission?

G

In the UK funding is generally for 3 years [generally]. Notwithstanding that, you appear to be under the impression that funding will be reasonably straightforward to obtain[?]. A scan through this forum should tell you that this is not the case. Funding for UK students is very difficult to obtain. For a non-UK/EU national it is considerably, CONSIDERABLY more so.

There is some funding for foreign students available [see the navigation links left], but places are limited and I am informed [read back through the forum] that such like is generally intensely competitive, and very over-subscribed.

S

Yes - you will need a Masters in IR

Even if you had a politics-related BSc/BA you would still need the Masters. This field is not like the sciences where you can go straight to PhD from undergrad - you will need a good Masters qualification first