Major Revisions - 6 weeks and not heard back

S

Hi all,

I'm a little anxious I've not heard back from a paper I submitted that had major revisions. Do you think this is a bad sign? Should I chase them up?

H

Some journals can take ages, particularly if reviewers are busy. Check the journal's website to see if there are any stats on average turnaround time. If not, perhaps contact the editor who is handling your case, though it's likely that it is in hand.

M

It happened that one of the reviewers was my examiner.

While he was discussing with me on the revisions of my paper, he told me that the reviewers in this journal are usually given two months deadline... In addition, there could be further delay because of admin matters and holiday seasons. So, it could be as long as two to three months, for example.

Of course, I'm not sure about your journal's guideline...

R

When I submitted an article to a very good journal of my research area, they took 4 months to say that it was a major revision. Then it took another 4 months to get a response about acceptance of the article in its current form. I would say that not to worry much.

M

Quote From MeaninginLife:

While he was discussing with me on the revisions of my paper, he told me that the reviewers in this journal are usually given two months deadline... In addition, there could be further delay because of admin matters and holiday seasons. So, it could be as long as two to three months, for example.

In this journal, it is possible for some professors to get major revision, major revision, major revision, then *rejected*. :)
However, the "fast track reviewers" in this journal may be given only two months if the editor wants to accelerate the publication of certain paper because of its importance. Therefore, a very good journal may have more than one guideline...