Making significant changes

G

Hi! I'm really concerned about changing my research area significantly after my first year, or what constitutes a significant change.

I'm very uncomfortable with my current research area. I know that some changes in direction are nothing out of the ordinary for PhD research, but I had a lot of problems in the first year, and I now feel that taking the research in a very different direction is the only way forward for me without quitting. I'm not changing subjects altogether, just the topic area.
However, I wonder if this change may alienate my superviser, so I'm really anxious about approaching them. I feel that the year of work I already have may be seen as going to waste, although without having done it I guess I wouldn't have got to this point in the first place.

I wonder if anyone on this board has gone through this process, or has any thoughts on what I should do - they would be much appreciated! :-)

R

I haven't been through this situation, but wondered whether your proposed change of research area differs significantly from the original application that presumably got you accepted on the PhD in the first place? If it's really different, then it would have implications for your supervision. Would you need a change of supervisor, or an extra one, or would your current supervisor still have the necessary expertise?

To be honest, if I was you I'd broach the subject with your uni postgrad research administrators first and see what the possibilities and procedures are, before speaking to your sup, then take it from there.