masters' degree ratings uk/international ?

U

I'm trying to find an excellent Masters' degree in my area of interest, but I can't seem to find an equivalent of the Times/Guardian supplements listing academic ratings. I'd also consider going abroad to study (to America, probably) but equally lack any sources to guide me. Does anyone know of anything? My actual interest is Comparative Literature courses, but it seems to me a lot of the top UK universities are incredibly classical in what they offer. I'd like to find the best rated, but not rigid, MA...

V

Hello- I dont know if this is helpful or not, but there was a special section in the THES a few months ago which listed all (or most) universities in terms of rankings and included universities from around the world. They also compared the best universities in the world for different subject areas (like social sciences)but that was slightly broad. Apologies if you have already seen it/is not useful, but I thought I'd pass that on just in case.

L

Hi,
If you are interested in studying in American, Peterson's college guides and U.S. World News and Report college guide are good places to start when looking for programs. If you are thinking about finding a program in the UK, try www.postgrad.com - they've got a wealth of resources to help find courses. Good luck!

A

What exactly is a taught course? Is it a master's programe or what? How do I choose the right one? There are so many options....Somebody help me, please

C

Did you find a masters in comparative lit? i'm doing one at edinburgh this year.

U

Hi...no I didn't find one that looked very good. I'm doing the MRes in Cultural Studies and Humanities at the London Consortium. It's quite creative, you study a range of unrelated things over various media, so you're exposed to a lot of different source materials and so on. I think in England, the best ones were at Queen Mary University, from what I saw during my research...

V

Best rated would be possible to define at postgrad level.

The best way to go about it is by uni/subject/department ratings and maybe also publications by the tutors and what people who took the courses did after.

N

That's a great idea from VeryPoor. Is there any website that can help. I've noticed that not all departments provide their rating or information on who they attract and what they do after the course. Any ideas?

Thanx