Masters in psychology after OU

C

I am an academically very able student (3 As at A-level), and I was studying pharmacy at Nottingham University over a year ago but had to drop out due to mental health reasons (I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome). Ealier this year I started another degree in psychology with the Open University, which I am studying from home full time. I am thoroughly enjoying the subject I want to study a Masters. I am desparate to get into a traditional red-brick uni to do my Masters at (Nottingham for example) but am anxious as to how these universities will pereive degrees from the OU. Assuming I get a 2.1 (I'm aiming for a first but this will be touch and go), and taking my personal circumstances into account, how likely is it I will be accepted onto a masters course in psychological research methods at a decent uni (say top 20?)

B

With a 2:1 or a 1st, I think you have a good chance to get onto a Psychology Research Methods MSc.

So why am I so sure?

Lots of psychology students want to progress onto either clinical or forensic training or an Research PhD and for this they usually need a 2:1 minimum. Many that have obtained a 2:2 or lower go off and do an MSc in RM because courses/ supervisors see this as a way to "mitigate" against them not having a 2:1 or 1st. From my observation you will be up against people with low 2:1s or 2:2s. The fact you are from the OU is irrelevant because as long as you have GBR your degree has been standardised.

FYI. The one at UCL is quite popular and has a good reputation, but there are several good ones out there. Some are more competitive than others.

J

Hi, I went straight from an OU Psychology degree (2:1) onto a part time PhD at a brick uni. The general impression that I've had so far is that OU degrees are respected, and the extra effort that you have to put in in terms of distance learning is recognised as well. Good luck!

C

Thanks, that helps.

S

Hi I got a first in my undergraduate degree from a uni that ranks in the 90's in the league tables but was still able to get onto a masters course at a top 20 uni with funding as well. Also I managed to get a PhD after this with funding at a top 10 uni so I think you should be fine. The OU has a good reputation and I can't see this affecting you. Hope this helps

J

Are you serious or are you winding people up? The OU is one of the best universities in the UK.