Masters or PhD

A

Hello people,
I'm an undergraduate (Bachelors) applying to universities in the US for a graduate program in Chemical Engineering. I am interested in research and would want to do a PhD some day. Most of these universities have the option of opting for their PhD program at this juncture;
My worry is this: If I choose to apply to their PhD program, I would have to work through the Masters. However, if something goes wrong or if I find something unsuitable, would it be possible for me to change the university after my masters or quit with a terminal masters degree?
Thanx!

B

Hello anirudh1984!!! I am Laura, nice to meet you!!! I think it will depend on where you apply??? You should ask the universities that you apply to if this is possible??? Love Laura xxx

A

Hi Laura,
Thanx for the post!
Good to meet you too!
I dont think it'd be a very good thing to ask the universities as I've already applied to their Phd program and an enquiry like that might send a negative signal..
What do you think?

M

Hi anirudh_1984!

I know of a guy who started a PhD in computer science at a US university after obtaining his undergraduate degree. After doing the first year, he decided that the PhD wasn't for him, so he told his supervisor. It wasn't a problem at all - he did another year and graduated with a master's degree.

Maybe you shoudl follow that path as well - just try doing the PhD and if it doesn't work out, I am sure they will still let you graduate with only a masters. As far as I understand, the masters is part of any PhD in the US any way.

K

As Marbeaux said this may be good choice but if I am not wrong u would not like to take this risk as you don't know what kind of person you are joining. If your supervisor turned out to be a real strict one , it would be a hell for you and getting out would be extremely torturous.
And this is my personal experience.