Masters research degree into aviation human factors namely diabetes, struggling with academic tutors suggestions.

K

Hi everyone, I am 21 and now hold a 2:1 hons in BSc aerospace engineering. I am a pilot, I also have type 1 diabetes and I need help as I want to do a study on diabetes effects of pilot performance in the aviation workplace the cockpit.

The aviation authorities wont allow diabetics to fly due to the risk and effects of incapacitating hypoglycemia. However with careful management I believe this shouldnt be a issue.
This would use a simulator although I have limited hours access to this...and I have access to continuous glucose monitoring technology for logging glucose data.

I would like to try and pull together a research topic for this to submit to my academic supervisor (who has suggested 1 idea but it is negative towards diabetics and I think it is defeatist)

His proposal:

"Project title: The effect of simulated flying on performance and blood glucose levels in diabetic and non-diabetic pilots

Aim: To characterise the impact of simulated flying and flying emergencies on airman performance and blood glucose levels in diabetic and non-diabetic pilots.

Principal hypotheses: Diabetic pilots with medication-controlled blood glucose levels under conditions of simulated flying (including flying emergencies) will display

* a drop in blood glucose concentration that is significantly larger than in non-diabetic pilots under the same conditions,

* a reduction in performance that is significantly larger than in non-diabetic pilots under the same conditions.

Method:

The method will be approved by the Life Sciences Ethics Committee.

Subjects: 5 diabetic and an age/sex/flying experience matched group of non-diabetic pilots will be trained to fly in the CAA/FAA-validated (xxx) flying simulator to ensure a comparable experience baseline between subjects.

Blood glucose measurement: Blood glucose concentrations will be measured using the pin prick method (xxx) every xx min, and by using a Dexcom (xxx) continuous tissue glucose meter.

Performance measurement: Pilot performance will be measured...(to be determined...slightly unsure how)

Statistical analysis: xxx as suited

Protocol: After training, subjects will participate in a 1hr session in the simulator as Pilot-In-Command (PIC). The session will be uniformly scheduled 2hr after a meal. Blood glucose concentration will be measured from 1 hour before the session to establish a baseline, and until 1 hr after the session. Simulation of take-off and emergencies (including resolution), and landing will take place, with the option of repeats of part of the protocol."

My response was:
Hi Areles,

The hypothesis seems rather negative and somewhat incorrect as it is known that blood sugars rise with stress and not fall. I got mixed up and told you this so I am sorry. It would be much better to have a positive slant I.e that with frequent enough blood sugar testing AND blood sugar management, that there are no significant safety issues but this is obviously biased positive so can we not have a middle/com

K

/compromise hypothesis?
I know we have ethics issues etc but the BIG issue which faces diabetes in the cockpit is hypoglycemia (low glucose levels) Can we try and work this into the study somehow?
Thanks

Karl

His reply to that:
Hi Karl,

The hypothesis you are suggesting is understandable but very propagandist and impossible to substantiate with the proposed set of experiments (although it can be falsified). It is far better to create a clear, relevant and verifiable challenge, hopefully with the result that the challenge can be met by diabetic pilots. This would be a positive outcome that is substantiated by the data. This does not mean we can't tweak what I have written.

There are a few more issues. Regarding the blood testing, to gain a resolution of, let's say, a measurement every 5 min over 2-3 hours, the best way is to use a cannula, rather than individual pricks. We are currently having staff trained to do this and I'm sure we would get one of them to help if they are available. This also involves getting semi-instantaneous readings (within 1-2 min of the sample extraction) and therefore almost real-time monitoring of blood glucose; we have the portable gear. This is important because we need to set a minimum and perhaps maximum blood glucose level in which we conduct the experiment. If we go outside this range the ethics committee would not accept the proposal on safety grounds, particularly if we don't have a nurse or physician present.

On the academic side, it is unlikely that the project will be accepted with only the experiments we thought of so far. It is simply too thin for a year's work. We would have to consider expanding the experiments, for example to include manipulation of diet or day rhythm, and inclusion of further physical and cognitive tests. This has implications for, amongst other things, the demands we put on the subjects.

Have a think....

Areles

I really need some help, I have been messed around by various tutors and being passed from 1 to the 1 I am now with since MAY and I want to start the research this academic year in the UK.

Please help me with ideas and suggestions, my head has become a mess and is making me want to quit but my heart wants to study this as I am truely passionate and interested in diabetes and aviation human factors.

Looking forward to hearing from you

K

anyone?

K

anyone?