Masters with a 2:2

T

I am in my final year of study and although it is still possible I could finish with a 2:1, it is quite likely I will graduate with a strong 2:2 BA honours in Russian with management studies from UCL...Would I be admitted into decent MA programmes with these qualifications and how would I prove to them I would be willing to work harder than I did for my degree?

I would really appreciate any feedback.....

P

From what I recall, universities are usually keener on students that have previously studied at their universities. Incidently, I only got a 1:3 for my degree and did not get accepted onto the masters program at the uni I studied at for my degree. I was going through a lot at the time and I can understand only too well that under certain circumstances it is difficult. It is not always as simple as 'you didn't put the work in'.

P

The reason I got refused for a masters was probably because I got a 1:3 but I knew plenty of people who studied there with a 2:2 who got onto a masters at surrey uni. It was a good uni. I ended up doing a masters elsewhere and getting a 2:1!

Go to careers advice in your uni, they will probably be only too willing to help.
But.... Speak to your tutor about it: he will probably be more familiar with the climate at the present uni you are at too and be willing to discuss your options.
a 2:2 is never the end of the world : but yes, depending on your ambitions, you may need to get a masters but not always.

I think you should go for it anyway if that is what you want to do. But I think also that a good justification is always good (especially at interview stage) as to why you actually want to do the masters.

P

Perhaps try to find out what the masters course consists of and see if it fits in with what you want to do and if there are any particular elements from which you can gain great benefit (maybe with the course director?) - aside from proving you can do better than a 2:2!
I think it is easy to lose sight of this as you will eventually find yourself having to justify it and will need a good reason other than you didn't achieve what you wanted. I got on my masters because I was driven and needed it to do pure research and get on a phd program. Not only this but I loved the depth of the course at this level and I am particularly academically minded.
When I was at my own uni and didn't get onto the masters course there, I was just filled with disappointment having got a 1:3 and didn't really know why I wanted to do it apart from to prove I was bright and capable and could do better.

P

Talk to your tutor and if masters is right for you, just go for it if you really want to do it at your uni.

there is also nothing wrong with doing it elsewhere either. I know your uni probably feels like home now and you are used to it but you will meet people at a new uni and probably have an equally cool time getting to know one another and sharing time with like-minded people who are studying with you.

remember also, it is an expensive venture to do a masters. it isnt the same student loans system. you will probably get a careers development loan. They have high interest rates but the interest doesn't add on top until you you finish your masters. if you have parents to support you, even better. you don't have to take out a full £8000 career development loan.

hope it helps.

P

damn it was a long post but it has posted them in reverse order! the post begins from the bottom message.

J

what a long answer. you on drugs? or just bored? or just helpful?