Masters with a Designated degree?

T

Hi all, I have failed the final year exam for an Honours degree.
I've ended up with a Bsc molecular &cellular biology (designated)
Do you think its worth applying for a masters degree for a very similar subject since they all ask for an honours? Also if anyone knows of any job prospects with what i have now, for example in a lab somewhere, not operating the counter at tescos, i would love to hear what you have to say/ know.

Ps. I'm also interested in 3D biological visualisation if anyone knows anything.

H

I don't totally get the designated degree thing but I think you would probably need an honours degree to get into a good masters course. Does that mean you have a 2.2 or less? Have you applied for any jobs in your field?

T

No i haven't applied for any jobs yet, my family is pushing for a masters course...
It is lower than a 2.2. I have talked with the uni carreers adviser and he said that some people with that kind of degree do get to go on a masters and i was shown evidence from a research they conducted on graduates six months after graduation. A few had gone on to a masters course and some with relevent jobs, but most were (i think and hope) working at supermarkets etc probably having a break from studying or waiting to get a real job

H

If you can afford to fund a masters course then it could be a good idea to do one. Some of the better courses may reject you if you have mark lower than a 2.1. How much do you really want to do a masters though?

I think you could get a lab-based job but it might be only as a lab technician or equivalent. The market at the moment is rubbish and even the big pharma companies are kicking out good scientists.

Have you looked at findamasters.com for any courses that appeal to you?

T

I completely agree with you about jobs. most and best paid jobs are H&R and marketing, but thats not what people tell you. To be honest I would prefer to have a masters than a very low Bsc. but i am not that excited about one. I regret choosing this subject, but the decision had to be made quickly back then.

C

Dear friend to get straight to the point here is that yes you can get into a masters course although i think you will have to exclude yourself from the top 20 universities in the UK I have known several people who have got designated degrees and went on to do masters. Think of it like this universites need money so when near the start of term they have places to fill they will look at applications that were placed at the end of the list due to bad results so that's were you come in. So from this you may hear from instituttions perhaps 2 or 3 weeks before the start of the course but apply early and try to get in touch with the course leader to outline your determination and that you had problems during that time and would like to make up for it!! Good luck!