Maximizing value of PhD and savings

J

I guess there must be "a place in the world" where a PhD from Oxbridge and £25k in savings are equivalent to a ticket for life. Where could that be?

C

I'm green with envy.

J

Somewhere in India perhaps? East Asia? Easter Europe or Latin America? Any ideas?

T

Don't presume a PhD from Oxbridge is a guaranteed meal ticket for life - at postgraduate level employers (you'd hope) are looking more about the skills you have acquired, not the piece of paper.

T

In fact with a PhD from anywhere you still shouldn't take the attitude that you can walk into any position - you should still try and work for it (I know I'm saying 'you' but it's not personal, just a general thing)

S

Maybe you could be a vicar?

S

Get a faculty position at a minor university somewhere in a chinese back-country city...

why are you asking jradetzky, do you know someone in that situation?

But seriously, it is a great situation to be in. Not everyone's dream but still great comparing how much debt most PhD students end up having after 3 years.... Oxford/Cambridge level is also a bonus. Don't waste this by jumping at the first opportunity and create options to choose from for yourself. I reckon, you should register yourself with a head-hunting type recruitment agencies and see how it goes (if you don't want a job in academia).

O

sorry to say this, but it means NOTHING.

As many people have said many times before on this forum, at PhD level, the university is less important than for your Masters or UG degree. Although it is a success to be a PhD student at Oxford, that fact in itself will not give you a ticket to success. There are other factors, for example your age, your previous qualifications, the type of job you intend to work at etc.

And of course your attitude toward christian courtship..

G

Sadly, I know of a PhD from Cambridge who's career never took off and who is now a life insurance rep. I think he expected it to be the passport to fame/riches but it never turned out that way.

J

what do you mean by age Otto?

O

It all depends on the specific job you want to apply for. Inside academia, age doesn't really matter but outside of academia there are certain "inofficial" age limits in certain areas.

O

Without meaning to be rude: invest the money into a trip around the world and a good counselor/psychologist. After that realize that there are other people out there who have an Oxbridge PhD and have no success (I know of one person who had a job worse paid then mine with a Cambridge PhD and "only" had a Master at that time). It needs more for a good job then a piece of paper and to be honest i had an over from Oxbridge and I refused and took another over because I couldn't face the attitude that they are all better. One day when I am famous and have a big house I will put the letter of acceptance on the guests toilet wall.
Am I sounding pissed off this morning? Sorry for this, its monday and no coffee is availbale.

S

Is this another sermon from the gospel according to JRadetzky?

R

I think anyone who is doing a PhD for fame and money is a little deluded. I dont know of any jobs which require a PhD that are much better than just having an undergrad degree, except for those in academia (and the pharm industry it is an advantage to move up). PhD's are really for an academic career, and not many of those are full of fame and fortune. For academia as well as other jobs it will all come down to who you are, as once you have a job, you will be promoted on how good you are not on what degrees you have (though they may help a little). Having a PhD in some subjects may help land you a job in the city (im thinking physics/mathmatics based) which are well paid (though a hell of a lot of work), but I doubt that it really makes that much difference (most of these bankers I dont think have a PhD).