meeting with potential supervisor

A

I have a meeting with a PhD supervisor at a uni next week, (as i emailed her to say that I needed research experience to enable me to be accepted to a funded PhD) and she replied saying that I should meet with her to discuss options.

This is a bit of strange question, but what do you think she will say? Would she say to come and do some unpaid research at the uni for work experience, or offer me a job as a research assistant etc?

What do you think?

P

im bit confused do you mean she offered you one but your turned it down because you didnt have experience?

A

I applied at the uni previously for a different PhD, but didn't get it (which i think was because I don't have enough research experience), so i emailed someone else in the department who also supervises PhDs and asked if she could help me to get the relevent experience that I need so I that i wouldn't be in the same situation again if i applied for another one.

P

ah ok i see. well maybe she will suggest un paid placement type job that would help you gain the experience that you would need though i would imagine would involve a generous amount of time to gain relevant skills.
maybe she is impressed by your keen nature and it may even lead on to a PhD afterwards.

if the experience is whats stopping you getting a PhD maybe a year spend being a RA or hospital lab assistant etc is the way to go, to also make sure you know it is what you want to do

S

It depends on your area, but what about a research masters?

A

I already have an MSc and don't see the point of doing another one, and i especially don't want to have to pay to do it. My research project was computor-based, so I haven't done a project in a lab. which i think has hindered me.

S

I guess it really depends on whether there is money available whether it's paid work or not. Often what happens is you may get either non-paid experience, or paid more mundane (data entry) type work to start with, but as you get your face known and people can see how enthusiastic you are, you'll get offered more work & experience. You're definately going about it the right way! I'd say go in there with an idea of the type of experience you'd like (making sure you know a little about the work they actually do) so you can discuss this, but be prepared to be flexible.

C

You don't neccesarily need experience for a PhD. We've had people from physics as we're Biochemistry/Biophysics doing lab work for the 1st time ever. It's a lot about how much you want to do it, and if there would be enough time to pick up the skills to a sufficient level. I only know about some areas of Biology/Chemistry though.
I found that a lot of PhDs were going to undergrad project students, or Masters students that the lab knew. You could try seeing if there is a funding in a lab for a few weeks over Summer. I actually did 1 month unpaid, then the HoD paid £100 or a bit more per week for a few months then I eventually got a PhD in the department.

A

I think I have enough experience really, because one of my friends is doing a PhD and she said she didn't have a clue how to use the equipment etc when she started, but obviously people showed her so it was OK. My problem that is I have trouble proving to people that I can do it, because I don't have a lab. project that I can use to demonstrate my skills.

Hopefully they would offer me unpaid/low work for a month or so and eventually a PhD. That would be good.

C

I would read up on the work the lab does and be able to talk a bit about it and show that you are interested.
It depends on the supervisor, some supervisors may still take you on without experience. Mine took on a physicist with no knowledge of the area and limited English! He's someone who leaves the student to work it out too!
I did a computer project as an undergrad and didn't have the experience/links to get a PhD, but got one after a year (I temped for 6 months in an office).
You could always try a masters course with lab project if you can't find some experience, some of the richer/larger labs may have some money. It would be worth emailing round a department asking. You can also do official studentships e.g. by RSC.
You could also just go and talk to supervisors for advice, and not just ask them for a PhD, you never know they might even offer one

A

Yes, I will make sure i read up on the research the department does. Thanks for the advice everyone.