Mendeley tips?

M

Hey guys, I just started using Mendeley - so far seems to work pretty well :-) I don't really have time to read all the documentation that comes with it though, so does anyone have any top tips for getting the best out of it?

A

download the app for it if have ipod is great for when out other libraries to have references.

One thing we found is if have Pdf that not in there can just drag them in and will find the information a lot the time to create the citation or you can add easily.

the network on it can be useful when just exploring papers gage ideas and can see what other people who had that paper looked at. It really as they say is itunes for geeks. if fairly good on the computer will pick it up quickly but it is far better than any others I have used, unlike endnote it does what you think a button would do etc.

P

I love mendeley. I wish I'd used it all through my PhD rather than just the last bits.

I've made a folder that the program scans so I just drop everything I have in there and it picks it up. It acts as a backup for all my files too.

I don't think theres much that can be given in the way of tips. It's fairly simple and skipped most of the instructions. All I would say is that when your collection starts to get on the large side then it's time to start organising lists with the function. I've got one for my general area, sub topics with in it, a couple of other area's I'm interested and then lists for those that would be useful for teaching.

A

Hi,

Just wondered how do you attach it to a folder that it will scan and add new one? that would be great to be able to do. I deff wish had it from the start instead struggling with endnote

P

File-> Watch Folder

And then you should be able to choose which folders it automatically checks :)