Messed about once too often

G

Having managed to get accepted for a (self funded)PhD I have spent the last 6 months battling their registry who have lost my application twice. I phoned their finance department today, who have told me 3 times that I can pay my fees in instalments. Today they denied ever saying this and asked for payment outright. This means I cannot do my PhD. Unfortunately I haven't got any written proof otherwise I would be straight down the solictors. Despite my experience with university bureucracy I am still shocked their incompetance. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

G

not to this degree, but yes in switzerland you have many idiots working at university administrations who would tell you one thing, and then simply deny they said that when you discover that they made you make a terrible mistake....

G

Luckily since I posted the first message I found a letter they sent me 6 months ago stating I could pay in instalments. Now they deny telling me I couldn't. I think getting past the registry department when applying for a PhD should count towards your workload, it is cetainly a substantial piece of work in itself...

G

Phew! Glad it worked out for you.