Metaphorically speaking on a friday night...

C

There have been various posts recently describing how unmotivated many of us feel, I am very much a member of this group! Half the time the fear of the task ahead freaks me out completely, and stops me even getting started.

I have a challenge ahead: I’m going to climb Everest.

I am sat in my tent at base camp. I have previously climbed other, smaller, mountains successfully and Everest has always been a dream achievement. I have done various bits of preparation, kit selection etc. to get me to the base camp stage.

The time comes to assess the challenge. I unzip my tent and get out.

Oh. My. God.

Chin hits the floor, knees go to jelly…how did I ever think I could climb that? It’s HUGE.

Cue rapid retreat into the tent to busy myself with far more pressing matters such as cleaning and tidying, folding my sleeping bag etc. Also need a clean change of underwear…

C

A short time later, conscious of the time pressure, I muster the courage to get out of the tent again. This time I don’t look up at the summit, but just look slightly ahead of where I am now. I think about things. Where will my next camp be? What needs to be achieved today and what is realistic? I know the summit is there; I have enough provisions to get there and achieve the huge overall goal, but by not looking directly at it, I keep my underwear clean ;o)

Hopefully, by addressing the smaller tasks in turn, and climbing a number of smaller mountains as part of the bigger plan, I’ll eventually reach the summit…

C

Thinking of things as little mountains and taking small (realistic) steps, I seem to be making a bit more progress. Sitting at my laptop and being utterly miserable because I haven’t written my whole thesis before lunch time may, possibly, be being a little hard on myself. Especially since I still have data to collect!

It’s Friday night, I’m home alone, again, so I thought I’d share my metaphorical story with all the other phders chained to their desks.

Here’s to a productive weekend everyone

B

Thank you CakeGirl. That's really, really made me smile.

B.x

L

You are so funny, you made me laugh and smile

I can SOOOOOOOOOOOO relate to what you said

"Sitting at my laptop and being utterly miserable because I haven’t written my whole thesis before lunch time may, possibly, be being a little hard on myself. Especially since I still have data to collect!"

lol!! i thought i was the only one that felt like that. felt guilty and incompetent that i havent written my whole thesis, and even though logically i know it's going to take time. and that every step counts. you still feel crap how long it's going to take..

L

but that was funny, yah exactly it's ridiculous for us to scorn at ourselves for not having written our entire thesis in a day. lol