Methodology

J

Hello all,

I am just writing up a PhD Outline for submission. I have been told that I need to sort out my methodology and re-jig it basically (I think most of the core stuff is there). Also, I have been told I need to start using proper academic terminology.

I am conducting a PhD in the social sciences which will include around 50-70 semi-structured face to face, one to one, interviews. My question is this, does anyone know of any good books that will help me on methodology and thus using the correct terminology?

Thanks!

SL

J

Real World Research by Robson is probably a good start, you should have this one in the library, along with Ground Rules for Good Research by Denscombe. perhaps you need to tell then what methods you will use to obtain your subjects?

J

I thought I was going to use grounded theory, but now have been told it would be better to use a theory that is grounded, which seems the same to me, but am sure is not. I will also be using snowballing sampling to acquire my interviewees if thats what you mean.

Thanks for the reply.

SL

I found this quite helpful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1412927927/ref=sib_dp_pt/026-3742422-9135628#reader-link

P

Hi,

I am not sure what your precise field is, so I am afraid I can only give you a perspective from my field. If you search e journals, there are some journals carried on method in sociology for instance, which will give you the best of current work (and terminology). There are many 'handbook's of available for qual methods, which I am sure you've read...I strongly suggest doing a little 'journal title contains' with method, social research etc,and even to go on google scholar a bit.

R

Hi Jinio,

I am also doing qualitative research, yet using focus groups. I have a medical background and find the theory around qualitative research quite complex and sometimes a bit far fetched.

The Silverman book gives a good overview, although may not provide in depth knowledge. I found it useful to go to the sociology deparment of the library, just get several books from the shelve and to look up issues like "grounded theory" etc.
:-)

A

Quote From jinio:

I thought I was going to use grounded theory, but now have been told it would be better to use a theory that is grounded, which seems the same to me, but am sure is not.

SL

Hi!

A theory which is grounded means that you have derived a theory or model from the data itself instead of having a model and using the data to test it.

Grounded theory is a specific method which is often misused. Glaser and Strauss and the Daddys of it. Technically, with the traditional method of Grounded Theory you should not do a literature review etc as that would affect your interpretation of data. You would have one broad question for participants in, usually, interviews and then you use a constant comparative method to analyse your data until you reached data saturation. There's quite a philosophical background to it and Sociology departments seem to be the best place to get advice on qualitative methods.

Qualitative research in general is grounded.

Good Luck

J

Thanks for all of your replies!

SL