Methodology

D

Hi All,

Was just wanting to gather your thoughts on methodology. I am in the faculty og Business and I am 7months through my 1st year. I have my transfer coming up in June and although I know I am taking a qualitative approach to my research I was wondering where do i start reading on this subject. I have started with the Saunders book but does anyone have any suggestions on what to read and what kind of topics I need to cover for methodology.

Thanks x

M

Hey,

If you seem not to have read much about methodology yet, then how can you be sure that the qualitative methodology is best for you? I cannot recommend you any books on methodology in general. Both quantitative and qualitative methodologies differ depending on the filed of study (social sciences, history, media etc.). I'm sure there are books that refer to methodologies within your field. Finally, remember that there is a major difference between the methodology and method!

Good luck!
M

B

Donzo,
Although it is a book on educational research methods, the following is a great book and well laid out and helps to justify your decision as to use whatever qualitative method (also has a good load of references).

Cohen, L., L. Manion, and K. Morrison, Research Methods in Education. 2000, London: Routledge.
The latest version is availble ... get your dept. to fork out as it is well worth the investment.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Methods-Education-Louis-Cohen/dp/0415368782

There is one or two good tables to quickly allow you to decide what methodology to use. I don't know of the Saunders book myself. I used Case Study and the classic "Applications of Case Study Research" by Robert Yin.