Mid 40's - Am I Too Old To Do A Phd ?

D

I am in my mid 40's and did a postgrad degree many moons ago. Is it too late to undertake a Phd? Will I struggle to get funding.

T

In my University (in UK), when attending PhD research skills seminars and workshops, I always meet many students who are in 40s and 50s. Some of them are university staff with Masters degree and upgrading to PhD. In my view PhD has nothing to do with age, it's about the drive and passion that you have.

C

Hi donfrico, I'm 43 and just started my PhD in the autumn :)

D

Hi Chickpea

Are you self funded ?

C

No, I have full funding. My degree is ancient, but I did an MSc with the Open University which just finished last year, so I did have some fresh references from that. I stressed the transferable skills I had from my work history, and I think that helped. What is it you're hoping to do?

H

Quote From donfrico:
I am in my mid 40's and did a postgrad degree many moons ago. Is it too late to undertake a Phd? Will I struggle to get funding.

Do you want to do it for enjoyment or as a career move? If the former, you're never too old. If the latter then your age is not a barrier but be aware that academic job prospects in most fields are poor, regardless of age, so make sure you've familiarised yourself with the issues in this respect before starting out.

I

You'll be judged on your proposal not your age. I got a scholarship at the age of 42, others were a few years older. Age is not a problem in my experience, though I do worry about starting out career wise as an "older worker".

Quote From donfrico:

PhD candidates tend to fit into two groups. The first are those coming straight off undergrad degree or masters with no real previous works experience. They're still bright eyed and bushy tailed, and the PhD that was initially an extension of the student experience becomes their first real encounter with serious work and long hours. A few very bright ones get the shock of their lives and I know two in this category who drifted off and called it quits. In fact, these younger returnees are the only failures form my own former department I'm aware of.

The second group are returnees. They can aged from late 20s upwards into their 50s. These people are looking for a fresh start, possibly a little world weary (definitely me) and back to do something original and new that will reinvigorate their lives and careers. I was in that second category, returning at 30 and really wanting a project that contributed something new and original to my chosen field. Whilst a few realise they've taken on too much, I feel some of the returnees are often better equipped with life skills to withstand the rigours of PhD. They've often seen plenty real world stress and are perhaps better able to manage it.

I know of a 40 something person doing a funded PhD whilst I was doing mine and they are now a lecturer. I also know of a 50 something tackling a PhD part-time alongside his everyday job. He simply considered his PhD an extension of that.

If you are searching for funded PhDs, then your chances should be the same as everyone else's. An academic is looking for a suitable candidate and it should not matter whether the 'right' candidate is 22 or 52. So start looking and applying and best of luck in finding the right PhD.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

B

I started my fully funded PhD at 40, and finished at 44. It's doable, sir.

J

This might be just the right time for you to start your PhD. My uncle decided to get his PhD in his 40s and now, he is a respected teacher in our town. Better do it later than never do it at all.
Wish you all the best!

S

Hi donfrico,

I started my PhD in 2009, just before my 40th birthday, funded. I was actually offered the studentship there and then, both over candidates already interviewed and some yet to be seen. My age and experience stood me in good stead. Therefore being older can be seen as an advantage.

Good luck with it!

I

I live by the motto you're never too old to do anything- go for it!