mindmapping software & pdf's management

M

Hello all. I'm searching some mind-mapping software for manage my PDF's (lot of them!!). I know SciPlore Mindmapping, but I cannot install it (appears a message: this requires java 1.6.0-1.6.9, but I have java 1.6.0 already!!).

So, is there any other software to manage my pdf's.

Thanks!!

N

Hello,

A search would have revealed plenty of threads about this already. However, depending on what you mean by managing your PDF's, I quite enjoy using mendeley. You can write notes, and use it for citations as well. Look it up.

I

======= Date Modified 17 Feb 2011 23:19:01 =======
Hi Marco,

I have been having the same problem and came across Qiqqa ( www.qiqqa.com ). I had been using Mendeley beforehand. It is very good, and technically it should work with SciPlore. Although, it is not obvious how they both link as they are at the end of the day two separate programs. And, if you say it is not working anyway then it is not much use to you.

Qiqqa on the other hand, has a mind mapping tool built into it which organises the pdf's the way you want. Beware though, it uses an OCR reader to convert the pdf image into text so that it can provide useful tags. Mendeley just reads the meta tags on the pdf which haven't always been filled in by the author. Qiqqa's method is in principle brilliant, but in practice it uses up a huge amount of CPU memory and makes your computer run really slowly. But, if you are happy to make your own tags then it can be switched off making the program run a lot more smoothly. I am in the process of reviewing Qiqqa and will hopefully be writing a short review of it on my blog, www.indoctorate.co.uk , so feel free to have a look (once I finally get round to writing it ...).

Hope that is of some help to you.

M

I was reading the forum, I see we all have the same problems ;-)

I want to find any information I need in my huge collection of papers. I don't like to waste my time looking for a formula, or definition, or theorem... I would like to put a word in a searcher, and then get the parts of my papers where that word appears. I have a lot of papers, sometimes I feel I am working in a library, not investigating.

I will try the software you suggested me. Thanks!! :-)

M

is there Qiqqa for Linux ?? I have a program for the .exe files, but doesn't work...

I

I think Qiqqa is quite a new company, i.e. they are still developing the Mac version. I didn't realise you were using linux. It says on their website http://www.qiqqa.com/Home/FAQ:

"If you are using Qiqqa on a Windows machine and sync with your Web Library, then you will be able to access your PDFs on any platform using its web browser. However, until we see more demand, we have no immediate plans for a Mac or Linux specific release. Why not check back in 6 months - the way Steve is going, the world may be a very different place by then :-)"

If you are needing this for the future it may well be worthwhile telling them.