Minimal research experience.

H

Hi
I am looking at postgrad study and have been advised, by many, that I could bypass the Masters and go straight for a MPhil/PhD. I will be trying to find an appropriate programme that I can undertake part-time.
My question is, I have a First Class Hons degree but very little research experience. Will this lack of experience be a block to starting a MPhil/PhD?
Thanks

G

I wouldn't think so, but you're aware that P/T funding is effectively non-existent.

H

Thanks for that.
I am self-funding and wasn't expecting any support.
If I can find a suitable programme (that'll have me) and the funding is good enough for me to give up my part-time job I would consider a full-time programme.
Approximately how often and for how long are you expected to physically attend Uni when a) part-time and b) full-time?

M

To some extent, it depends on your subject. In my subject area, a masters is now usually required at a high merit or distinction level to progress to a PhD. However, I do know people who have successfully gone straight from undergrad to PhD, with 1st or good 2.1.

If you're willing to self-fund, and you have a 1st, you should be able to get into a very good university.

Talk to potential supervisors, and they will offer opinion on whether you need research experience.