Minimum requiremenst for Phd

J

What is the minimum requirement on your degree classification in order to do a Phd.

I may get a 2:2 and also i have doe a year's work of experence at Imperial College.

How hard or how east you think it would be for meto be considere for a PHD?

S

I think the min requirement is a 2(i) or a 2(ii) + a masters

I don't know if your work experience will help or not and you very possibly will have to do a masters first - but lots of folk do this even with 2i's

However if you happen to know someone in your department, who thinks you are good enough then you could possibly get one with a 2ii - I'm sure its not unheard of?

Although I do think you'll need a masters first

good luck

S

G

Depends on the competition I suppose. Obviously the better you do (Undergrad degree wise) the better your chances. If you're self-funding its a different (easier) ball-game of course.

M

I regret to inform you that u have not been accepted into our PHD programme

Sincerely
:)

S

The real problem is funding. Supply and demand for funding tend to mean you need a 2i for a funded place (or higher in some subjects with especially scarce funding). Some depts have a blanket entrance requirement of 2i but some are flexible.

If you need funding and get a 2ii you could either do a masters or if you are in the right sort of field get a research assistantship with a view to doing as part of your job (2 friends of mine did that).

D

Hi, I'm not sure whether this advice counts for all funding bodies but here goes...The PhD advertisments within my department all state that a minimum of a 2(i) is required. This is not just to ensure the best candidates it is a regulation of many of the funding bodies. This happened within my dept. when one of the profs wanted to give a PhD place to a 2(ii) candidate as he was very good but the funders would not allow this. However, a masters degree does help and as stated above, 2(ii) plus masters is as good as any 2(i) degree in terms of competition. Hope this helps

M

Message Removed.