minor corrections

S

i have just had my phd viva and supposedly passed with minor corrections (3 month deadline). is it possible to fail in this scenario?

B

Only if you fail to do the corrections satisfactorily (i.e. per the examiner's requirements) within that time-frame. But if something came up that delayed you, for good reason, I expect you could easily get an extension if need be.

Basically it's a contract. They will give you a PhD (and guarantee to do so) if you do the corrections properly within the specified time-frame.

It is a very good result. Have a little short break, then bash on with your corrections. You should also get a detailed report from the examiners specifying what they want you to do. Follow this to the letter.

Congratulations!

D

======= Date Modified 01 Aug 2011 08:44:25 =======
I had my viva early July with the same outcome. When the report came through via post I was expecting it to be rather specific in terms of the extra paragraph to be included in the lit review, but it just states to add extra para on X, Y and Z. But what exactly do they want added about X, Y and Z?. All other corrections were single changes ie + changed to x, so all the others were self-explanatory. I have done what I think necessary for the extra para (a whole page in reality) but am awaiting for these to be checked. I guess it is now the summer hols so I have no idea when these will be looked at. I must admit to having the same question as to whether they will come back to me for further clarity or will they fail it if they don't like the extra 'para'? It feels so close to completing but still not there yet!!! I have sourced a bindery and just want it done now.

B

My minor corrections were really minor (just typos basically) but I've heard of people with more substantial ones sometimes having a to-and-fro dialogue with the examiners until the corrections are satisfactory. This is good in a way. It means the examiners will let you know if things are not quite right, and how to redo them, rather than failing you. Basically they want you to pass. Although it's nice to get it finished without that if possible.

D

Thanks Bilbo, nice to have some clarification on this part as the uni regs don't appear to cover it specifically! I assumed the examiner would be liaising with me if the corrections do not satisfy the requirements. Hopefully, I will hear some good news on the corrections soon!

S

I Thought this nightmare would end with the viva. Apparently not. Is it possible to request an MPhil? If some of the corrections are no good what are the chances they will still fail me?

B

Just do the corrections! You are making a mountain out of a molehill here. If your corrections are unsatisfactory then normally the internal examiner would tell you so, and work with you to bring them up to the required standard. You should not fail!

K

Scared- you will not fail, you have already passed! A pass with minor corrections is an excellent result, and the result that most people will be aiming for. Hardly anyone ever gets a straight pass (i.e. without corrections) - it's almost unheard of, at least in my discipline! I have my viva next week and will be delighted if I pass with minor corrections. As long as you do as your examiners have asked then there is no doubt that you will get your PhD. If there was any doubt at all that your thesis was good enough then you would be looking at a revise and resubmit verdict with another viva or an MPhil. Maybe you should go speak to someone in your department who can reassure you that this is an excellent result, and that you have nothing to worry about! Best, KB

N

I think I am unlucky one among all of you. I had minor corrections on a resubmitted thesis. I asked internal to see my corrections within 2 months but he refused and asked me to submit fully. My internal didnt not agree with the minor corrections and downgraded me to MPhil. Now I am in appeal process. Any one aware with the rules how these corrections needs to be checked. Is is like if internal is not happy he can ask you to redo the remaing few?? what id he is not happy??? Pl share ur experience with me.