Minor substantial corrections

E

Hi all,
First time user and am wondering of you could help me understanding something. I had my viva last week, I was lucky enough to get a superstar academic roughly in my field but haven't had to correction list yet. The verdict was pass with minor corrections but they made a point of telling me it would be substantial as my methodology needs to be reworked which will change the analytical latter half of the thesis. In my institution minor corrections are done within 3 months, major corrections 1 year. They suggested a 3-6 months time frame.
What am asking is have I really passed with minor corrections? That what they said but with the caveat of them being "substantial" which has me less elated than I might have been.
Thanks

J

Hi excommunicate. At my institution anything over 6 weeks but less than 6 months is classified as 'major' and I was also told my corrections were 'minor' but more than 6 weeks so I was given the 'major category' classification on my report. Sounds like your situation is similar. It took me about 5 weeks of flat out work to get the 'minor' corrections done. By the sounds of it yours might be similar? Aim for 3 months. In the grand scheme of things it isn't too long. You'll get there and congrats because you have passed.

S

hi excommunicate!
congratulations!!!! so your verdict is pass with minor corrections! well done

does it really matter whether it's major or minor subject to whether it's 3-7 months, within 3 months, 1 year etc?

don't let that part about re-working your methodology get you down, what does 3-6 months matter anyway? you'll still need to make the amendments, corrections, whatever, just get down to it and get them done as soon as you can

and perhaps once you have really handed THAT in, you will feel a lot happier with yourself and you'll probably be able to appreciate the "pass with minor corrections" verdict a lot better.

you really have done well! you deserve to be elated -- ok ok, once you have re-submitted -- but please try to be happy anyway, don't be so hard on yourself

love satchi