MORE office politics

P

Just felt like a rant

Previously, you may have read my posts about office politics...

Well now, despite the fact that I've been working on two projects (PhD and department of health project) since 2006, the author of the units reports (which were checked by directors etc) who has taken over the non=-phd project and preivously decided to steal my desk (and move all my work and computer elsewhere whilst I was on fieldwork). Well this author has have decided to completely omit my name from each and every report.

I find this incredibly hurtful and upsetting. I have not been involved with the write up, but my lengthy methodology sections have been included in the toolkits and referred to throughout the report, yet I have not been mentioned at all as a contributer.

I confronted the directer (I was holding back the tears!) and it was a complete mistake and nothing personal. The damage has been done, I feel totally unappreicated and rejected I just feel horrible!

:(

C

Are you likely to get acknowledged?
Hope you feel better soon, sounds like a really difficult situation.

T

what did the director say then about this?

S

If it was just a mistake and nothing personal then why do you feel so horrible? Angry I can understand - it was a stupid mistake, but unfortunately people do make very stupid mistakes liket this. Just be sure it never happens again - but let it make you miserable. I think we all have to learn not to take things too personally some times.

B

I think Pineapple is right to feel angry, as this is a really common backstabbing technique. There have been many times where an author has been bumped off the author list of a publication and then pacified with "It was a mistake, dont worry you will be on the next one". Pineapple is at a stage in her career where she needs every publication and authorship for her future.

I think you should push to get your work recognised, because it seems no one else is defending your corner.

S

But this is a report - not a publication. If it were a journal publication that would be a lot more serious I think. I am assuming, also, that it really was a mistake.

S

I am totally with pineapple here. It happens so often that PhDers get all the crap but none of the recognition, and not having an approachable member of staff who can deal with this is completely unacceptable.

E

I worked at an educational project, I did all of the research (including designing research methodology) and I my name was not mentioned anywhere. When I complained about it the answer was: "But you have only a master degree! The rest are lecturers!" I was really upset, because I could have used it for PhD applications. I understand how you feel

P

Many thanks for your responses guys. I've calmed down a bit now, but I will be complaining to the PhD convenor about this. The reports will be made public and will be published as part of departments publications. The directer has apologised and said that it was a mistake and nothing personal, although I accept this, I find it hard to believe. I've been working on this project (alongside my PhD) for nearly 2 years and was not mentioned at all in anything.I'm annoyed as these reports have already gone to a governmental body. What makes it worse is that I've only just stumbled across these reports.It makes me question what else have they omitted my name from. Throughout the reports, the authors have mentioned my work (that is realted to my PhD) throughout the report without saying anything that it was mine. They've also copied word for word descriptions of my methodology toolkit, again, without stating that this was my PhD work.

J

Must admit I sympathise: I have been left off reports by "mistake" before now. Got me into trouble with my boss once: why had I "let my partner do all the work?" I hadn't, I did most of the darn work, but my partner persisted in "forgetting" to add my name.

Thing is, it's hard to prove malice and you can end up looking like the petty one. So now, whenever I send a work-related email to a colleague, I always cc emails to my supervisor, so there is proof that I was working on a project.

P

Just to give you an update, well I've received a written apology from the people involved that it was a genuine mistake and nothing personal (not sure whether I 100% believe that but anyway). They are going to amend the reports and add my name to them as an author. In future their going to ensure that I'm acknowledged as an author to all reports given my level of input. They kind of justified why I was not included but my other supervisor (whos in a different dept) did find this unacceptable; so I'm glad it has been recongised.
I just feel disappointed and it just adds salt to the wounds when I'm already struggling with all the PhD worries! I'll never be able to put my trust in these people ever again and it has seriously damaged my confidence in people at this unit which is sad given the amount of work I've put into the non-phd project.

H

Hi pineapple - I'm probably just going to say what people already acknowledge but academia is evil. Your ideas must be closely guarded, help is never forthcoming and the rosy tinted view that all academics help each other out is an out-and-out fallacy. While it may have been a genuine mistake, don't lose sight of the fact that every other established academic would sell their PhD-ers soul for recognition or extra grant money. Fight for what is yours, it's safer to assume people will not help you and then be pleasantly surprised when they do.

P

I was lucky in my PhD and everyone was *very* nice... however in Industry I've encountered loads of complete arseholes who do things on purpose to make themselves look good and to put you down - never really openly, always like 'Oh, sorry, it was a mistake' kind of thing.. so if you do pull them up on it... they can rectify it without looking like a backstabber. You need to appreciate that these things happen and chalk it up to experience. Don't assume everyone is evil, but do double check things and don't become hysterical or cry when you find someone has been an arsehole as in academia and industry you're supposed to be 'professional' so compose yourself, think about what you're going to say in future and *then* tackle the problem.

In all honesty it does sound like you did pretty well though, I'd imagine some PhD's might be too weak or worried to say anything - you did and you're now acknowledged for you hard work.. well done

P

The aftermath of this now is that no-one on the team at this department is really talking to me now :(

Although I'm glad I stood up for myself and their sorting out the 'mistake', I'm getting the cold shoulder from them all now-kind of wish I didn't say anything!

My housemate thinks that perhaps their keeping out of my way deliberately-i.e they recognise what they've done. I really hate this atmosphere now! Someone save me from this place!

B

I think a more viable explanation is that you called them on their "mistake" and they are getting stroppy at being caught out.

Presumably because you didn't act all compliant and "oh of course you can do what you want with me" they arent used to dealing with it. It is a shame because if more people like you stood up for themselves the higher ups would realise they cant get away with taking liberties with their subordinates.

Pineapple, you can rest easy knowing you did the right thing in standing up for yourself, its not your fault they are acting so childishly.