Motivation dwindling...

K

Hi everyone,
I'm having a tough time so far this semester - I've had some disagreements with senior people in my department (over how fast I should be working - I want to work quickly through the coursework, so I can start my fieldwork this year, but the department has other ideas...), so now I'm a little bit stuck, with my research on hold for an extra semester. As a result, I just don't feel the motivation to work hard anymore - I feel like if they don't want me to work efficiently, why should I? I know that this is for me, not for them, but at the moment I'm just doing coursework stuff (and department admin), and pretty much ignoring my own proposal and research. Any advice on how to get that motivation back again? Last semester I really was excited by what I was doing, and this year it all just seems a bit pointless... Thanks for any suggestions :-)

T

======= Date Modified 22 Jan 2010 10:24:27 =======
If you're feeling frustrated and held back in your work then I don't blame you for losing motivation. I take it you don't feel you're getting much from the coursework itself? Why don't the department want you to plow on and start coursework, does it just not fit with their standard program?

Is there anything else you can do to prepare for your research next semester, to help you feel you're progressing? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to get the coursework out the way so you can have a holiday! My motivation does come and go on a regular basis, but I think you need to feel you're getting somewhere or it tends to go awol.

K

Thanks Teek - that helps :-) I do feel held back, I had a clear timetable and I was really motivated about sticking to it, and getting things ticked off on my list. This just makes my coursework period 18 months instead of 12, delaying when I can start my fieldwork etc. But I'm trying to work it out - I figure I may as well use the time to learn stats better, try and publish a bit and attend some conferences... but you're right, it's really important to feel like you're going somewhere! Thanks again.

P

Hi Kezia,

I went through a similar situation last year, my research was on hold and I had to keep on working although I wasn't feeling motivated at all. Besides that, I was working from home, which didn't help.

Anyway, I think you have a good plan (learning statistics, attending conferences),... I wish I had done the same thing! If you stick to your plans and if you set weekly goals, I'm sure you'll be alright and this will keep your motivation going.

K

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm working at home too, and turning into a bit of a hermit... hopefully I don't completely lose all social skills :-) I will set weekly goals as you suggest, thank you!