Moving to a new uni for a PhD

B

This is a bit of a generic post really but I'm looking for advice above moving away to a new uni and starting a PhD. I'm handing in my Masters dissertation tomorrow, which marks the end of four years at my current uni. Now it's starting to sink in that I'm moving away to start my PhD in less than two weeks. I've only ever lived in small towns before and for my new uni is in the second biggest city in the country. I've tried to read blogs and posts on here so that I know what to expect but even still it seems very daunting!

So, what I'm asking for is generic advice really. Does anyone have any tips for teaching students (as I'll be doing as part of my studentship), starting a PhD, or adjusting to a new uni at this level? I've read enough posts on here saying that a PhD can be very isolating, so it worries me to think I'll feel lonely in the city! This is, of course, assuming that I'll have time to be lonely! Anyway, any tips at all would be greatly appreciated as to hear from PhD students who have 'been there, done that' would be incredibly reassuring.

Birmingham. Some of the best rubies this side of Hydrabad.