Mphil after getting minor corrections

N

All

I would appreciate your response and help on the following matter.

1. I was given major correction in 2008.
2. I appeared in v.v again in 2011 and was given minor corrections of three months
3. After submitting minor corrections I have been told that I am given Mphil

During this whole process my supervisor has been continuous touch with me and checked all my thesis and all corrections and he was more than happy that my work and highly appreciated (during the first four years my all reports are given very good by first and second supervisor, apart from this i have published my work in prestigious transport conferences including one journal) . My internal examiner had problems with my work from start. All the joint reports are actually 99% from internal while external examiner contributed very less in his reports ( i guess he followed internal).

I have been told that I can do grievance appeal. It seems that I have to go with the option of prejudice and bias of examiners towards my work. If any body has experienced this or have any knowledge could he please share his experience with me either in this forum or privately. I will be really grateful for this support.

======= Date Modified 29 Jun 2011 13:09:01 =======

Quote From nm1980:

All

I would appreciate your response and help on the following matter.

1. I was given major correction in 2008.
2. I appeared in v.v again in 2011 and was given minor corrections of three months
3. After submitting minor corrections I have been told that I am given Mphil

During this whole process my supervisor has been continuous touch with me and checked all my thesis and all corrections and he was more than happy that my work and highly appreciated (during the first four years my all reports are given very good by first and second supervisor, apart from this i have published my work in prestigious transport conferences including one journal) . My internal examiner had problems with my work from start. All the joint reports are actually 99% from internal while external examiner contributed very less in his reports ( i guess he followed internal).

I have been told that I can do grievance appeal. It seems that I have to go with the option of prejudice and bias of examiners towards my work. If any body has experienced this or have any knowledge could he please share his experience with me either in this forum or privately. I will be really grateful for this support.

Was it made clear to you that after the second viva, minor corrections would only lead to an M.Phil.?

I actually think there's a case to answer if this was not made clear. Seek solicitor's advice here whilst initiating grievance procedure if that's the case.

Be aware the best you can hope for is re-examination.

This sounds very strange. Did you keep your report that was sent after viva? The one suggesting the minor corrections. Doesn't that state something along the lines of 'degree of Docto of Philosophy, subject to such such corrections' with resubmission details?

N

All

Thanks for your responses. ALthough my university examination format doesnt say any thing like this. The options are 1. Award PhD Strainght pass 2. Minor corrections 3 months 3. Major corrections (18 months with oral examination at the discretion of examiners) 4. Major corrections with oral examination on same thesis 5. award of Mhil 6. Award of Mphil with minor corrections 7. re entre for Mphil within 12 months with new oral exam.

I was given 3 rd option in first attempt and 2 option in second v.v. I am surprised how they have made their mind from 2nd option to Mphil. Any one had expereince of good acedemic appeal lawyers