mphil to mphil?

S

Hi all,

so I'm in year 3 of my mphil programme. I'm finishing my methodology chapter and am wrapping up my next research chapter when I just received a letter in the post from the research committee at my university saying they are worried about my slow progress (still haven't upgraded to phd status) and that during my next supervisory meeting my supervisors will discuss and determine whether I should still work toward upgrading to phd status or if I should just work toward getting an mphil degree. I see this as a huge sign of failure and am pretty stressed. I've got to submit both chapters in the next 10 days. Each monthly meeting my advisors say how worried they are about my slow progress and i'm working as fast as I can but i'm pretty stressed. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

EJ

S

Did you get a researchers' handbook when you joined the programme? At the uni where I'm at, if you're full time, you have to upgrade by the end of the 2nd year the latest, otherwise you will not be able to get a PhD, but an MPhil.

Check out what the regulations are at your uni. Or alternatively maybe you should try and do it part time?