MPhil?

G

Hi

A brief summary of my situation:

I am finishing my second PhD year in economics in a UK university. I failed 2 out 3 exams and I ask them that I wanted to resit. The department told me that they had studied my case and they had decided just give me the chance to submit for Mphil, 'they didn't find evidence of successful research'. I was shocked because I never imagined that, actually even that my supervisor never showed interest for my topic I am sure that my research was interesting.
Also, I consider that the procedures never were followed properly, I never had Thesis Advisor Group (from the PhD manual I needed see them at least twice a year, even from the first year), so how could I have known that my research was wrong). I saw these two guys (Thesis Advisor Group ) just a couple of weeks before my workshop research (18 months after I started). Moreover, if my research was not going well why they leave me to pass to the second year (and pay another year).
Well, at this point I am not sure if I want the Mphil, leave everything, or appeal the decision. I really wanted do research. Some friends have recommend me to appeal.
I would really appreciate any advice of that.

B

======= Date Modified 24 Aug 2010 14:47:06 =======
Sorry you've had such a terrible experience at your university.

Why not contact an economics expert at another UK university and explain your situation. If they like your research and think that you have what it takes to do a PhD, then you can transfer to finish your PhD with them instead. A PhD thesis can be submitted after (a minimum) 24 months (if you're a full-time student). So if you enrol to do your PhD at another university, then after 2 years you can submit your thesis. I know it means an extra year for you, and you've already paid the fees for the 3rd year at your current university, but it's an option which is worthwhile if it means that you have a good chance of getting the PhD at the end of it - especially if your current university won't let you get that far and want you to submit for an MPhil instead. Transfers at PhD level are not unusual; and academics are used to receiving emails from students who want to move universities and join them instead. Pick a few 'good' departments/universities and send them a revised version of your proposal stating that you've already got 2 years worth of research and you'd like to enrol on their PhD programme. They sometimes ask to see a sample of your work before they decide to make sure that you are good enough and that the reason why you cannot finish at your current university is due to bad supervision (not because anything's wrong with your work). If you're going to do this, you'll need to apply to the new university, which means providing 2 academics refrences. Do you have people willing to be your referees outside of your university?

An appeal at your current university may end up getting you through the MPhil to PhD Transfer stage, but would you want (after all of this) to work with a group who have let you down so badly? What stops them from letting you down again when the time comes to submit your PhD thesis? Either way, good luck and hope things work out for you.

One more thing: if you mean that you've already paid the fees for the academic year starting September 2010, then you can ask the university to refund you for this because the academic year hasn't started yet.

G

Hi Baltar

Thanks for your advice. Yes, you are right, there is not sense in continuing after appealing.
I would try to go further with my research (I am not sure if I want the Mphil from here) and then contact other university to continue, the thing is how to avoid to start from the begining. Any way, I know that it is not going to be easy and it will take me long time.

Thanks again