Mr. Spock a Vulcan supervisor...

M

Vulcans are a humanoid species in the fictional Star Trek universe who hail from the planet Vulcan, and are noted for their attempt to live by reason and logic with no interference from emotion.

That makes me wonder if some of our supervisors have vulcan genes...no interference from emotion!

C

They dress like they are from another planet *roll eyes* who though socks and sandals were good!
Some can be really insensitive, and lacking social skills. I think being really thick skinned is a way of coping with such a competitive, challenging environment.

D

mmm but as potential supervisors ourselves rea we looking at the possibility that we to have descended from the vulcan race or is this a case of genetic mutation through academic advancment...or maybe its more of a Borg thing where the conferring of the PhD signals the assimilation into a non-autonomous, emotionally devoid being comprised of componants from the department...not quite human any longer just a clone of the department handbook?

C

I'm not staying in academia
Hmm nature or nurture, so do you need the vulcan gene to get through a PhD if you need that to be a supevisor. Maybe you can just silence it and overcome the socks and sandals.