Msc Conservation Science

F

Hi im just after a bit of advice really. Ive been searching around for a masters in conservation & came across three i really like the sound off, but the one that appeals to me most is the conservation science at imperial college (ucl is another and also reading).

Im a mature student, Due to person problems my a levels went very bad, but i got back into uni by home study. Its now going really well, Im avaraging a 2.1 at the moment (67 %)possibility of getting a 1st. does anyone know when you apply, do the unis look at the percentage or just the oveal grade 67 % is pretty close if i dont make it?!
I know imperial is notriously hard to get but the course actually says they dont ask for formal grade requirements.

does my lack of a level matter or feild work both in the uk and Africa make up for any lack?

Am i just wasting my time or should i go for it anyway? Does anyone know what reading is like too?

p.s excuse my spelling, dyslexic and im tired :P

T

Silwood Park (where the course is based) is nice, but a bit quiet if you were expecting to study in London. I also get the impression that the course director Dr Milner-Gulland is very well regarded in conservation circles.

I'd suggest getting some conservation work experience to bolster your CV (parks trusts, wildlife trusts, BTCV, the Mammal Society etc - they always need help on their Water Shrew survey). It doesn't have to be somewhere exotic, local field experience is just as valid.

Also try the ZSL website: www.zsl.org/info/jobs/academic-and-post-graduate-opportunities,116,AR.html

Good luck!

F

Thanks for that, ill take a look!

I do have quite a bit of field experience though, my course that im on is very practical, and they take us out in the field when ever possible.

As i said i have field experience in south africa, which also invloved how conservation issues and management of the reserve i was on. My dissertation is is based alngside the sussex wildlife trust and i have been working on mapping out badger territories using feild technigues for the last 6 months!

I quite like the sound of silwood to be honest, quiet definatly doesnt have to be a bad thing, sometimes london can be too busy!!

Thanks anyway!

T

Sorry, I misread that as you didn't have any local or African field experience!

S

I didnt do particularly well in my A-levels either, well not in my science ones did ok in law and psychology and I applied to Imperial last year to do an MRes in Biochemical research. I was offered a place on the course on the basis of my application including personal statement, referee reports and transcript of results obtained so far (as I hadn't yet completed my degree). I didnt have to go for an interview. Although my average at the time of applying was 79% I think that you stand a good chance with your average. Also being a mature student counts for a lot too
What institution are you at?

F

Yeah i re-read it, very confusing but i was very very sleepy when i wrote it :P sorry about that.

At the moment im at brighton uni, not ranked well, however if im correct i think the pharmacy department is alright. Ive just had an interim viva since i last posted and have been told i should get a 1st for my research project which should pull y overall up too!

I have written my personal statement which has been proof read and told its quite strong, and im a good student so hopefully i should get glowing refrences hehe.

Oh im really keeping my fingers crossed i want to do that course so much!!

S

Well the institution where I did my undergrad is probably one of the worst in the country (i'm not joking), it's about 94 in the league table and it's definitely not known for Biological sciences, so being at Brighton should put you in better stead than I was and based on all you said about your personal statment and references you should have a really good chance.

F

well thanks for the encouragement, i think im def going to apply and see, if i dont get in then i did all i could, im sure ill get in somewhere!

B

Awww, I know nothing about this area, but best of luck. I think you seem really nice. x

S

Hi,

I'm actually a student at imperial, but undergrad. I don't know about grades, i mean even though imperial has a reputation blabla, I've always been told a 2.1 is really good, and one of the professors told me once that 2 of the lecturers here actually got a 2.2 (cos I was asking if you could carry on doing phd's n things even with a 2.2 in case I couldn't get a 2.1).
also, I really like silwood. I've been there 3 times and it is sort of removed from everything else but it's very pretty and if you like nature (as I suppose you do if you're interested in this masters) it's really a nice place to be. Especially if you have a car.
and E.J. Milner-Gulland was my dissertation supervisor in 2nd year and she is really nice.
So I think you should definately try! I'm interested in this masters myself, but I still have a year to go before I finish, so you can try it out first

wish you all the best!

C

check out DICE (Durrell Institute for Conservation and Ecology) at the Univesity of Kent. It has one of the best MSc programmes available (particularly if you ae looking to work in consevation in developing countries). Becasue around 75% of its students are non-uk residents, they are more flexible with regards A-level grades etc, as long as you can show some good field experince. Besides, if you get a 2:1 in your undergrad you wont have a problem...

Rob

M

I'm studying at Silwood Park at the moment on a similar MSc (Conservation Science is new for 2007). I'd say the best thing you can do is to come to the open day or arrange to come down and visit to see what you think. Lots of people here have had breaks from studying and did their first degrees at a range of places so it's definitely worth getting in touch. I've found that practical experience is definitely a big plus so give it a go!

H

Hi I once wanted to do MSc in Conservation from UCl but unfortunately I couldnt get a scholarship so i ended up coming to Germany for my studies. But now im thinking of doing a PhD in Conservation Biology from Canada. Perhaps you should should also look into Canada and USA and Australia as they have very good programmes on biodiversity and conservation.

J

I am also studying at Silwood currently on MSc ecology, evolution & conservation. I came straight from my BSc, so have no work experience in conservation. I think that as long as you get a solid 2:1 and a strong personal statement, you will have as good a chance as anyone else of getting in. It's good that you're older, as most people here are about 25 or older, and a lot do PhDs. I find Silwood can get lonely sometimes and it is remote. You really need a car in this area to have a fulfilling life (the nearest train station is a good 20-30 minute walk away in Sunningdale). EJ Milner-Gulland is my project supervisor. She's very good, very professional and helpful. But it's likely you will see a lot of other staff too, as EJ seems very busy, so have a look at the interests of other staff that are based at Silwood too. It's VERY QUIET here, if that's what you like, you'll love it, if not, don't come here!

F

Hi everyone, i had an interview on friday, and was offered a place on condition i get a 2.1.

im so excited, it looked like a real nice place and with regards to it being quiet that doesnt bother me in the slightest - wooooo

Thanks for all the advice