MSc to MPhil

J

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice. My first choice ofuni decided to pull my course just before the start date, and with it my funding went out the window.

I've since applied to another uni at been accepted, thankfully, the catch is that all the funding and bursaries have already been alocated. After talking to the graduate school one option that was mentioned was possibly transferring to an MPhil once I start. Then my school should have funding from the EPSRC they'll be able to give me as Masters students aren't considered. I'm planning to do a PhD anyway, so I wouldn't be doing anything I wasn't going to do later.

Does anyone know of this has bening done?

Thanks
J

Sorry about the cross posting but I didn't get any response, in the other thread.
Even a yay or nay would be appreciated.

H

Jamie, is this a taught course?

MPhil is more reasearch-based than MSc. Normally an MSc will have more of a taught element - attending lectures, coursework, small dissertation project. MPhil is like a mini PhD. I don't really see this would work unless you were doing an MRes.

I guess they have a way round it but sounds strange...

J

Yeah its a taught course in 'Advanced Materials' at The University of Nottingham. I was meant to be doing an MRes at my first uni but as I said they pulled the course. I'm only doing the masters as a 'stepping stone' to a PhD. I know the MSc's a different structure, I just hoping I can convince them that I can handle a MPhil / PhD and then maybe start it in January after the first set of exams providing I do really well.

If only I didn't have a 2:2 BSc none of this would be necessary