Much needed advice

V

======= Date Modified 21 Apr 2011 15:44:54 =======
Hi

I was wondering if someone could give me some much needed advice.

I started a PhD last year, but then quit a year later due to personal reasons. Because I didn’t want to be left with nothing I originally planned to submit for an MPhil. However, it’s been like months since I made this decision and I still haven’t done any work for it. This is because I’ve started working after leaving the PhD, but also I am still trying to forget about all of the negative things that happened to me whilst studying for the PhD, so working for the MPhil brings back all of the things I do not want to be confronted with .

However, I am starting to realise that I cannot leave all of this behind me unless I leave the MPhil. Yet, I just don’t know how I tell my supervisor about this, as I feel bad for letting her/him down once again... Is it best to ring my supervisor or write a letter/email? Has anyone ever been through? If yes, could you tell me how you told your supervisor?

I’d be really grateful for any advice!

B

If you walk away from the MPhil you aren't letting your supervisor down, in fact you're probably doing them a favour. They're not going to have to read drafts, give feedback. Leaving the PhD is the big thing that can cause problems for supervisors. Walking away from the MPhil is nothing.

Given this, I'd recommend emailing, unless you are more comfortable phoning. I left a full-time funded PhD in 1996, after falling seriously ill, with what would turn out to be a progressive neurological illness. I had a difficult chat with my supervisor, as we tried to bash out a solution. But in the end the only real option was for me to leave, and not even with an MPhil. I left by email. I regret that. I wish I'd said goodbye face to face. But it was easier for me. I couldn't bear to set foot inside the building again. I never have.

But in your case email would be fine I think. Honestly, you're over the worst bit already, having walked away from the PhD.

J

Hello Velony,

I don't think you should stress over it. Most of the time, when a PhD takes a leave, the supervisors are not expecting to see them back. It's quite rare for those who take a leave to actually pick things up from where they left them. A leave is actually (off the record) a route to quitting the PhD.

I think when you get to talk with your supervisor, you'll find out that she(he) will have expected to hear what you'll say. This will be a hufe relief you your side.

Goodluck.