My chances at a PhD

C

I would like to pursue a PhD program directly out of undergrad but I fear my low GPA (2.98) will hinder my chances. Issues with my family marred my academic performance during the first two years. However, I was able to significantly improve in the following two. For a bit more information about myself, I received my bachelors from a top liberal arts college. Moreover, I have great recommendations and research experience. I will be taking the GRE in May and hope to obtain a great score. Should I receive a good score, what are my chances?

T

Most of the people on this forum are not in the US so it may be difficult for you to get many replied to this question.

I am in the US currently, and from informal discussions with people I have been told that GPA and GRE are not the main considerations (as long as you meet the basic criteria) and it is really about who you know and how good your references/lab experiences are, so you should be ok.

I

Quote From TreeofLife:
Most of the people on this forum are not in the US so it may be difficult for you to get many replied to this question.

I am in the US currently, and from informal discussions with people I have been told that GPA and GRE are not the main considerations (as long as you meet the basic criteria) and it is really about who you know and how good your references/lab experiences are, so you should be ok.

I second that- I know quite a bit about the States as my brother is doing a PhD there and it's all about connections/references pretty much. I would say GPA has a greater influence than GRE- GRE is only relevant if you're doing a maths intensive subject and top departments want to make sure you are in the 90th percentile plus. Focus on having a good proposal and getting in touch with faculty members.