MY RESEARCH PROJECT WAS ALREADY DOEN BY SOMEONE?

B

Dear All

I recently joined PhD(Biotech) for Sep2010 intake for which I was given research topic at this stage after joining up for 2-3 months.

Ok I was continuing literature review and to my surprise I have seen the same topic of mine done already by someone else in April2010.

I approached my supervisor with regard to this for which he added a bit of new concept related to regulation of gene expression.

My query is:
1) Can anyone do the PhD on the topic which is already done by someone else?
2) Doing research already done by someone else, Does this affect the future prospects ?
3) How should I boost myself /create myself a feel of something "new" ???

Oh !!!!

Can any one help me with your suggestions?

T

It's not uncommon for multiple groups to be investigating the same topic, but with a different approach.  I have read papers where two groups have looked at the same cellular process to reveal two different hypotheses for the mechanism of how the process works. If you are looking at mechanisms of gene expression regulation then it is possible they are looking at it from a different angle to you.

As for affecting future prospects, don't worry. The main problem of carrying out similar work to another research group is that they can scoop you - i.e. find out the answer to your question and publish the results before you do meaning that you cant publish the results in a journal (it would still be fine for a phd chapter).  This is frustrating but science is a competitive arena and it does happen, but if your supervisor has a new concept to try out then focus on that concept and build on it.

Don't be disheartened - Ph.D. research is flexible and you are in your early stages, so if needs be you can change the direction of your work to make it more novel. 8-)

D

There is one main question to be answered... what are you adding to the body of knowledge. If you can answer this keep going. If not revise your aims and objectives, there is always something new or innovative that you can add.

Good luck x

B

Many thanks for your response.
Indeed am in early stage of my research,donno howfar my supervisor support me for changes in project?

As suggested I surely make it to be novel.

But
One more
is
Y am I am I feeling totally lost/cut form whole world while am doing my research?
though I dint start yet lab its //...really terrible to be with all @new@

Senior students of Phd ceems to be dominating /

and

May i know as far I know there isnt publications for senior students..

But
I have seen in US students come out with 3-4 articles along with PhD..
y is it not so in UK?

J

this was also the same case with my thesis. i acknowledged in a page or so the existence of the similar thesis and stated its strengths and weaknesses and how mine was different. i also came up with a different theoretical framework. our findings were similar, but mine more convincing and more novel... i hope. :-)

i think this is a good thing rather than a bad thing. its gives you a model to follow or improve. key thing is you must get a hold of this thesis and read it word for word. and then distinguish your work.

all the best.(up)

B

Dear All

Many thanks for your responses.
Indeed my tension is bit relieved and I proceed with much ...enthusiasm..