Need advice

H

Hi,

I am very stressful with my Phd study, so hopefully I could get some useful advice how to tackle with my problem.

I have been doing Phd for 9 months, but recently I has been asked to change my reseach method, and use different data that I could lose at least 6 months while my scholarship duration is limited. The new method is very tricky to be completed within the time I have with the scholarship. I don't know how to deal with my supervisor. For example, when I send my writtings to him for review, he does not give me a complete feedback as every time I correct his comments and send to him, he gives me some new comments :(

Could someone offer me some advice?

Many thanks
Henry

H

Hi Henry2014,

Sorry to hear that you are stressed. Changing your methodology at this stage is common with PhD research as it is possible your supervisors found that the current one is not suitable. I made some addition to my theoretical frame work and changed my methodology one year into my PhD (just before I went for my field work) and this has not really affected my progress.

I will, however, advise that you make sure you understand what the new methodology entails by asking questions and attending workshops if need be.

All the best.

T

Agree with above.

And it's very normal to get new comments - it's called formative feedback. You write something, someone adds their thoughts, you write some more, someone adds some more thoughts, sometimes picking up things they missed the first time, or things they've changed their minds on. This happens at every level in academia.

H

Thanks Hanginthere and TreeofLife!

Your comments and suggestions are very userful. Now I think one possibility is that my supervisor wants to put more work on me and wants me to be successful because if he did not like me, he would not give me a feedback on my writings. However, I am still not quite sure what he is thinking, and planning...

Anymore advice is always appreciated.

Regards
Henry

T

henry2014,it is great that your supervisor gives you feedbacks. To get up to speed with the new research method, could you talk to someone with experience in it?

T

The closest you will ever get to knowing what your supervisor is thinking is by asking him what he is thinking.